Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/12/2014 6:52:20 AM EDT
After doing about five efile AR SBR's I want to SBR my SLR104UR.  My local engraver can do the trust info, I just figured I'd have to send the rifle off for the barrel cut anyway so I might as well have it all done at one place.  Who would you guys recommend that would do a good job and not take forever?  I've gotten spoiled by ADCO with their speed......
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:30:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Troy at InRange did my build years ago.  I still think he is one of the best in the biz.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Two river arms does an outstanding job as well.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:35:11 PM EDT
[#3]
But the tools and do it yourself. Costs about $75 and is very easy to do.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 10:28:56 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 on DIY.  You can buy everything you need at cncwarrior for about 100 bucks.  And you don't have to worry about sending your rifle out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you ask ADCO if they could do it?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 2:30:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I looked at the adco website and i think they don't do ak barrels.  After looking around for a smith to cut my 104ur i decided to do it myself.  Bought the 90 degee facing and the 11 degree crowning tool from cnc warrior and went for it.  It was pretty easy.  Cut it off with a hacksaw, 90 degree facing tool on a drill, and 11 degree crowning tool on the drill.  I used cutting oil liberally for each step then used super fine sand paper and a bluing pen to finish it off.  Don't be intimidated, it is a very simple project.  If you look on akfiles they have a thread on the slr104 with a lot of cut and crown tutorials.  Check it out and give it a go.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:17:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bartledoo:

+1 on DIY.  You can buy everything you need at cncwarrior for about 100 bucks.  And you don't have to worry about sending your rifle out.
View Quote

It's true.

Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for DIY.  I did my 104UR myself with CNC warrior tools and a hacksaw from Home Depot.  Super easy.  Shoots great.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone interested in renting the tools out for this job?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:47:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Did mine myself.  I opened the letter from ATF and then cut the barrel.  Took no time at all.  Did not have to pay someone to do it or pay for any shipping.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Any worries about damaging the chrome lining when cutting the barrel? I Have "heard" that the chrome lining can come off in small chunks that will leave you with a muzzle that you can't fix by re-crowning. Any truth to that?

I also have an SLR104UR that I am going to form1 as an SBR.

Also, I have access to a quality chop saw (high speed, straight cuts) would that be preferable to using a good hand hacksaw blade or vise-versa?
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 2:00:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By jb1dsl:
View Quote

Your local walmart doesn't sell hacksaws?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:27:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By Makarov:

Any worries about damaging the chrome lining when cutting the barrel? I Have "heard" that the chrome lining can come off in small chunks that will leave you with a muzzle that you can't fix by re-crowning. Any truth to that?

Also, I have access to a quality chop saw (high speed, straight cuts) would that be preferable to using a good hand hacksaw blade or vise-versa?
View Quote
I had no problem with the chrome on either barrel I hacksawed.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By shade_1313:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks, good to know.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 10:15:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ArmedFerret:

View All Quotes

Yes they do and thx for help!!  Pretty sure I won't be able to pick up the crown tool there though.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 12:26:58 AM EDT
[#16]

Yes they do and thx for help!!  Pretty sure I won't be able to pick up the crown tool there though.
View All Quotes

brownells?
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 10:07:01 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

when my form 1 comes back and I do mine, I will loan you my tools. Look for me to post in the dedicated 104/105 thread. If things go for me as they have gone for others my stamp should be approved around the 1st week of December.

Link Posted: 11/25/2014 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#18]
My stamp came back today.  I've got a local friend with access to CNC machines that is doing the engraving.  Once it is done I'll chop the barrel.  Just have to get the crowning tool now.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 11:05:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By compuvette:

My stamp came back today.  I've got a local friend with access to CNC machines that is doing the engraving.  Once it is done I'll chop the barrel.  Just have to get the crowning tool now.
View Quote
Take it slow and easy, keep the RPMs low, and use lots of cutting oil.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 8:41:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Hacksawed mine and crowned it with 11 degree tool. No flaking on the chrome. Will be putting some Roy ds through it this weekend.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By nictra:
Hacksawed mine and crowned it with 11 degree tool. No flaking on the chrome. Will be putting some Roy ds through it this weekend.
View Quote

Careful....don't let your gun get Royd rage.    
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:25:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Cell phone posting....always screws up.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#23]
yeah, i usually tell people i'm going to the range and ask if they want to come woth me.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#24]
It came out really well.  My friend did the barrel cut after he got the engraving done.  I picked up a crowning tool and we did it all at the same time.  it shoots great and is wicked fun!  Only pic I've got handy is my group photo of my non-AR SBR's:

Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#25]
So is there anything else you need from CNCwarrior other than the pilot/crown tool, and the 90 degree facing tool? it only comes out to $62, so what am i missing?
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#26]
you can use the 90, or like me just use the 11. If your cut isn't straight it may be wise to buy both the 11 and 90. Make sure your tool comes with the handle and the correct pilot(s) for the caliber barrel you plan on cutting.

here's what my tool looks like:

ignore the thread die, TAT, and handle.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#27]
It doesn't look like the 90 on cnc warrior comes with a handle, but I can't find one for sale separately either?
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I think I bought mine from Dinzag.

http://www.dinzagarms.com/tools/tools.html

Link Posted: 10/10/2015 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#29]
View All Quotes

I've cut 3 barrels with an old ass hacksaw blade and have had no issues.  Probably could have cut them in half the time with a newer blade but oh well
Page AK-47 » Krinkov
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top