Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2006 2:59:22 PM EDT
My new Maadi arm project is progressing nicely ... We have 54 degree weather today in Wisconsin so I thought I would get a little sand blasting done on my Maadi Arm. Z-Recto is just about done with my Russian AKM furniture and one of his matching USA PG's. ... Should be a nice orangish shelac.... Single hook G2 arrived this past monday .... pistol screw and nut arrived today....

Here is a question for you guys. I have a muzzle nut and a slant brake (Global trades). That slant brake screws on so TIGHT it's not even funny! Now, the old muzzle nut goes on and off with no problems. What the hell? anyone have any suggestions for the slant brake - besides spinning it on with a pliers? I had this same issue with a global trades brake on one of my MISR's.

Also, when did mother Russia switch from a muzzle nut to a slant brake on their AKM's?

I'll post pics of my stripped Maadi a little later

Next Up: Parkerizing then Flat black Gun kote.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:29:38 PM EDT
I didn't thing that they used muzzle nuts on Russian AKMs? I thought just AK47s......I want to know too now!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:38:10 PM EDT
Hmmm. got this one off an AKM front end?

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:46:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TravisAasen:

Oh, I am not doubting you...that is just what I thought. I would like to know a time frame too!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:48:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By huey_crew_chief:

Oh, I am not doubting you...that is just what I thought. I would like to know a time frame too!

No, I really don't know...That's why I ask the question.

You know the machining on the front site post is quite awful. I blasted the hell out of it and it still looks kind of nasty.

Oh well, Saturday morning Park and Gunkote.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 5:32:58 PM EDT

No, I really don't know...That's why I ask the question.

You know the machining on the front site post is quite awful. I blasted the hell out of it and it still looks kind of nasty.

Oh well, Saturday morning Park and Gunkote.

Yah, the machining sucks real bad one one of mine, the other is not so bad.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:39:43 AM EDT
I believe the russians introduced the AKM with the slant brake but I could be wrong, all the books I have do show the AKM with the slant brake though and it is listed as one of the improvements that went into the designing of the AKM.

The machining on my Maadi ARM front sight was horrible too, I first bought a new romanian front sight and gas block (so I could have a lug) but then decided against using those and got an east german AKM cutoff barrel section with a late model AKM gas block and a real nice new front sight, gona use those instead and make it a late model AKM. Oh, and I forgot to mention I really screwed up the front sight by trying to get the damn welds ground off that were holding the muzzle nut on. I should have the gun back from Josh newton within a month or so, can't wait to see it!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 8:36:08 AM EDT
From what I have been told, the Russians used a muzzle nut on the AKM until about 1962 by 1963 they were using the slant break. I have also been told that the AKM production really didn't start in quantity until 1960. So the muzzle nuts would have only been used on the first couple of years of production.

Likewise with the laminated pistol grips on the AKM rifles, by about 1963 they were changed to the plastic grips.

Of course the photo caption is labeled for 1958-1962 and the AKM has a plastic grip. That proves another rule, which is that there are always exceptions to the rules!
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:24:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mike_f:
Of course the photo caption is labeled for 1958-1962 and the AKM has a plastic grip. That proves another rule, which is that there are always exceptions to the rules!

hard to tell from the pic but is that not a late production stock with a side swivel
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:42:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By anyirons:

hard to tell from the pic but is that not a late production stock with a side swivel

It does look like a side swivel buttstock. But I have been told that having a side swivel doesn't automatically make it a late buttstock. More exceptions to the exceptions.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:02:49 PM EDT
Great info Mike! Where can you get a muzzle nut?
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 2:29:27 PM EDT

Great info Mike! Where can you get a muzzle nut?

Global Trades and K-VAR sell them (probably other places too). I think K-VAR even has US-made muzzle nuts.
Top Top