Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/29/2013 1:12:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scotter260]
I decided to make a stop in BFPU-land before Epoxy-ing. I don't think I'll stay though because it looks like it was done and not natural AND the wood really doesn't match condition-wise.  

Floorplates arrived yesterday and the rest arrived today:
-Csspec floorplates - $25.50 for 5 delivered
-K-Var followers - $15.91 for 6 delivered
-Tapco single-hook FCG and retaining plate from RTG - $28 + $5
-CNC Warrior threading and brake were added last year I believe
-I can't recall from whom I purchased the Russian furniture but I think I got it last year from the same person USN-Riverine mentioned in his thread

Also got a Polish Bakelite grip for $5 from RTG although I do have the Russian laminated one, I'm just not a fan of the fat PGs.  

No range report yet as I just finished.

Link Posted: 10/30/2013 5:51:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: corpseknight] [#1]
Aircraft paint remover + wire brush.
Then paint it with a can of Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy. The stuff is only $6 a can, and wears like a beast. Painted mine in 1999/2000 and it still looks new. No chipping, peeling, corroding under solvents, or ridiculous cure times. It even looks just like the glossy 70's era factory paint, AKA Red Dawn MAADI. Hit it with some extra fine steel wool if you want to knock the gloss down some. Throw dirt in the finish before it dries if you want it to look like the original.
Krylon Fusion is not what you want.

Whatever you do, don't sand or blast it. You'll blast the oxide finish off as well.
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.

I'd reread USN-Riverine's thread and made sure to remember epoxy appliance paint - I've been repeating to myself for the next trip to Walmart.

I also found out yesterday that my neighbor has a blasting cabinet so your last line make me .

Thank you for your response and suggestions.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 7:54:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scotter260:
Interesting.

I'd reread USN-Riverine's thread and made sure to remember epoxy appliance paint - I've been repeating to myself for the next trip to Walmart.

I also found out yesterday that my neighbor has a blasting cabinet so your last line make me .

Thank you for your response and suggestions.
View Quote

I'm glad someone benefited from my thread. +1 for Rustoleum aplliance epxoy paint.

Start with some mags, the closer you spray = more shine. I find 8 to 12 inches is the magic number. I painted a dozen semi rusty Yugo BHO mags before I painted the rifle, the mags came out great and the rest is history.
Link Posted: 11/7/2013 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Update in OP.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Scotter260:
Update in OP.
View Quote

That's a great looking rifle OP! Makes me want to get back into 7.62 AK's (5.45 guy).
Page AK-47 » Egyptian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top