Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/23/2006 11:16:07 AM EDT
I think I asked this question before and never received any answers (which is RARE around here) and I'll try again. On Saiga shotguns and AK100 series weapons sold IN RUSSIA it is a law that when folded, the firing mechanism be disconnected or blocked (like on safety) so it can't be fired. Has anyone ever seen this mechanism and how it works? If so can you describe it, or naybe even pics?

TIA........
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:50:53 AM EDT
[#1]
It is a law that a civil weapon cannot fire when overall length of weapon is less than 31 inches. That means that all AK’s with barrels above 23 inches and folding stocks must have stock-activated safety. This mechanism in latest Saigas is the following:
A special blocking plate is placed on the left wall of the receiver. This plate interacts with standard safety axis by forward end and with special cut in folding stock axis by it’s back end.
When safety is disengaged, the plate is in back position, AK trigger mechanism works in standard way, but this plate’s back end gets in the stock’s axis cut, preventing stock from being folded. When safety lever is engaged, the blocking plate goes forward and it frees stock axis, so the stock can be folded. When stock is folded, you can’t push safety lever down, because the plate can’t go back, as the stock axis has only one cut – corresponding stock unfolded position.

View from the top of the receiver, receiver cover off.
1 – Stock
2 – Receiver
3 – Blocking plate
4 – Safety axis
5 – Safety lever
Img.1 Stock in working position

Img.2 Stock folded

Before year 1999 there was another “old style” blocking mechanism that engaged independent safety placed on stock folding button. But that mechanism had poor protection from instant and reversible cutting off by not 100% law-abiding citizens. Just like the new one, actually.

If you have any other questions – please feel free to ask.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:58:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Otlichno! Spasibo Bolshoi!

I was always curious how that worked. Thank you for your help (and the picture). And you're right, that would still be easy to deactivate.

Ahhhh...........Matushka Rossiya!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Very interesting. Glad the 74M stocks I have coming dont have to be modifid like that.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top