Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 8:38:50 AM EDT
Will a VEPR run on bulgy .223 waffle mags?  Has anyone moved the FSB back , then thread the barrel so a threaded flash hider can be installed?  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes I use Bulgarian .223 waffles in mine as well as converted 74mags and they both run 100%in mine. I have thought about ordering the ACE gasblock sight for it and removing the front sight and having it threaded but am not sure what breaks would fit the barrel diameter.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:17:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:19:48 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Bought but not used yet...
Bbl is about .8" under the handguard, .7" after the gas block, and .6" for the muzzle stub. Beefy.
The Robarm and Beryl mags fit great. The Bulg waffle does not fit due to a need to file about 1/8" off the top rear corner, otherwise mine do not rock into the well. Should fit otherwise. Each has a feed angle about 3/16" higher than the std 74 mag. Weigers are too wide in front to fit into the well.
Range visit Fri.

Lookin'forward to it!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Bbl is about .8" under the handguard, .7" after the gas block, and .6" for the muzzle stub. Beefy.
The Robarm and Beryl mags fit great. The Bulg waffle does not fit due to a need to file about 1/8" off the top rear corner, otherwise mine do not rock into the well.

Excellent info!

I am assuming you mean top rear of the mag, right?  If it is the mag, what is it hitting on keeping it from locking in?

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:35:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Found the same thing with the 3 - 5.56 Bulgarians I bought from K-Var. The top rear corners are angular on the side and back, just enough material so they won't clear the cut in the receiver as they swing up.

I compared them to the come-with Rob Arm converted EG bakelite mag, and used an emory board to round off the Bulgys so the contours matched. OK since.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Are there any other AK type rifles besides VEPRs that are NOT built from parts kits?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Are there any other AK type rifles besides VEPRs that are NOT built from parts kits?

There are several, some Arsenals, MAK 90s, Polytechs, WASRs, etc.

BTW, how's the Skunk Ape doin' these days?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

www.arsenalinc.com/about.htm
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:32:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are several, some Arsenals, MAK 90s, Polytechs, WASRs, etc.

BTW, how's the Skunk Ape doin' these days?

Thanks for the info. Most of the skunk apes that were around here have moved to the pan-handle area of Florida,
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:46:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Will a VEPR run on bulgy .223 waffle mags?  Has anyone moved the FSB back , then thread the barrel so a threaded flash hider can be installed?  

The Vepr barrel is big enough in diameter that it would have to be pulled and turned down on a lathe so you could thread it for something. You do not have to thread the barrel. I talked to Mark Krebs at Krebs custom and they sell a 24mmx1.5 thread adapter. It is called a mounting bushing. It is $15 and $5 shipping. At least when I got mine.They have two types: One with internal threads of 14mmx1 and external threads of 24mmx1.5     Another one that is smooth on the inside and external 24mmx1.5 threads. You have to call to order so make sure you tell them you want the one with no internal threads.

You have to measure the outside diameter of your barrel at the muzzle and then drill out the inside of the adapter .001 inch smaller than barrel o.d. You can have it pressed on and welded or silver soldered. He said this was how they did it on the KTR guns. I had mine just press fit and it never went anywhere. I fired about 1500 rounds after this and it was just fine. It was a Vepr .223. Used the ACE 90 degree gas block and cut off my front sight. It was pretty neat looking.

At this point you can use any of the 24mmx1.5 muzzle brakes or flash hiders out there. Even a fake can. If you like that sort of thing.

If you would like to see a pic of the gun I used to have, let me know.

Kreb's site for those of you who don't have it:   Kreb's Customwww.krebscustom.com/ The part can be found in the custom parts area.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#11]
brokenbank - thanks for the info.   PM sent.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Vepr barrel is big enough in diameter that it would have to be pulled and turned down on a lathe so you could thread it for something. You do not have to thread the barrel. I talked to Mark Krebs at Krebs custom and they sell a 24mmx1.5 thread adapter. It is called a mounting bushing. It is $15 and $5 shipping. At least when I got mine.They have two types: One with internal threads of 14mmx1 and external threads of 24mmx1.5     Another one that is smooth on the inside and external 24mmx1.5 threads. You have to call to order so make sure you tell them you want the one with no internal threads.

You have to measure the outside diameter of your barrel at the muzzle and then drill out the inside of the adapter .1000 inch smaller than barrel o.d. You can have it pressed on and welded or silver soldered. He said this was how they did it on the KTR guns. I had mine just press fit and it never went anywhere. I fired about 1500 rounds after this and it was just fine. It was a Vepr .223. Used the ACE 90 degree gas block and cut off my front sight. It was pretty neat looking.

At this point you can use any of the 24mmx1.5 muzzle brakes or flash hiders out there. Even a fake can. If you like that sort of thing.

Kreb's site for those of you who don't have it:   Kreb's Customwww.krebscustom.com/ The part can be found in the custom parts area.

PICS PICS PLEASE!

I am buy no means a grammer Nazi and would have to kill myself if I was but did you mean .001 (one thousand) or .100 (one hundred thousand) of an inch. You meant one thousand did't you?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The Robarm and Beryl mags fit great. The Bulg waffle does not fit due to a need to file about 1/8" off the top rear corner, otherwise mine do not rock into the well. Should fit otherwise. Each has a feed angle about 3/16" higher than the std 74 mag. Weigers are too wide in front to fit into the well.
Range visit Fri.

Update- Noted the Beryls has much deeper notches under the front mag tab compared to the Bulgys, so I took a basic file and went down a bit to the metal under the plastic below the front mag tab. Bulgy waffle now fits fine and cycled 100% on a box of Wolf HP. Harris bipod and 4x26 scope from my PSL are mounted for Friday's range trip.

Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You have to measure the outside diameter of your barrel at the muzzle and then drill out the inside of the adapter .1000 inch smaller than barrel o.d. You can have it pressed on and welded or silver soldered. He said this was how they did it on the KTR guns. I had mine just press fit and it never went anywhere. I fired about 1500 rounds after this and it was just fine. It was a Vepr .223. Used the ACE 90 degree gas block and cut off my front sight. It was pretty neat looking.

PICS PICS PLEASE!

I am buy no means a grammer Nazi and would have to kill myself if I was but did you mean .001 (one thousand) or .100 (one hundred thousand) of an inch. You meant one thousand did't you?

Sorry, I meant to say .001 (one thousand of an inch).  Don't really know what in the world I was thinking. Sorry for the confusion. I keep strange hours and it messes with my head a little!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:39:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey GenghisKahn,
                         I sent e-mail your way regarding the pics you showed interest in.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Update- Noted the Beryls has much deeper notches under the front mag tab compared to the Bulgys, so I took a basic file and went down a bit to the metal under the plastic below the front mag tab. Bulgy waffle now fits fine and cycled 100% on a box of Wolf HP. Harris bipod and 4x26 scope from my PSL are mounted for Friday's range trip.

Sooo...

Howdit go??

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:57:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top