Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/12/2005 7:23:59 AM EDT
I was thinking of making a VEPR with a standard AK foregrip and PG (from ironwood for 922), and then use a folder for the stock, this would avoid the problem of having to fit the angle cut on the receiver.

What is required to install a standard AK foregrip (upper and lower) on a VEPR. It looks like the top could be done by simply swapping gas tubes, the lower one looks like a PITA!

Also could you use a MAK stock on a VEPR? Some of those are angle cut right.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#1]
The veprs are way more angle cut than the MAKs, You can use a drag style stock but thats about it. I have the Choate on mine and love it. But the foregrip will be where you get all the problems. You would have to remove the front sight and gas block, to get the retainer on (Which would have to be reamed out some) then you would have to cut a slut in the barrell for the retainer lock to hold onto.  And yeah you should be able to fit a standard gas tube on with little to no trouble. If you get it all done post some pics for us.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone heard of these guys: http://www.concentric.net/~Ldrennan/Page2.html

They say that they make a angled wood stock to fit the VEPR.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:13:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
then you would have to cut a slut

I've wanted to do that a time or two!
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:21:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
then you would have to cut a slut

I've wanted to do that a time or two!

I guess I should proofread more eh?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#5]
If VEPRs came with AK furniture and no angle cut on the reciever, I would buy one.  Why dont they realize this?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If VEPRs came with AK furniture and no angle cut on the reciever, I would buy one.  Why dont they realize this?

They can't import them in military config. due to U.S. regulations. They come over from Russia with hunting style furniture, which is then replaced by Robinson Arm. You should hold and shoot one, I like the furniture alot more than standard AK furniture. They will also outshoot just about any other AK on the market.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:52:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They can't import them in military config. due to U.S. regulations. They come over from Russia with hunting style furniture, which is then replaced by Robinson Arm. You should hold and shoot one, I like the furniture alot more than standard AK furniture. They will also outshoot just about any other AK on the market.

+1
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I own two VEPRs, one I have in its original configuration, the second I wanted to clone a "classic" AK with - just to have one. I like the quality and accuracy of the VEPR but like the look of classic AKs as well, in other words I am trying to get the best of both worlds.

Does Krebs still do VEPR conversions?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I own two VEPRs, one I have in its original configuration, the second I wanted to clone a "classic" AK with - just to have one. I like the quality and accuracy of the VEPR but like the look of classic AKs as well, in other words I am trying to get the best of both worlds.

Kreb's no longer does any custom work for individuals, only "production custom" work.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Kreb's no longer does any custom work for individuals, only "production custom" work.

Biggerstick is correct. Krebs no longer does the custom stuff for individuals. There is a way to get a standard lower handguard on Vepr, but you would have to have access to a mill. You mill a new lower handguard retainer in the same dimensions as a standard one, then cut it in half horizontally. Slot the back side of the lower half to accept the "locking tang/tab" ,if you will, from the new lower handguard. You drill out the top half on both side to allow a 8-32 screw to slide through the holes. Drill the holes deep so the screw heads are recessed and you do not see them. Purely for asthetic reasons. The lower half you drill/tap to accept before mentioned 8-32 screw. It would work through tension. A barrel clamp if you will. Or, for more security, you can slot the top of the barrel to the same dimensions as the sideways width of the upper clamp piece and it would rest in the slot. The lower piece you can drill a hole centerline and your cleaning rod can slide through that.

Have I tried it yet? NO. Am I convinced it will work? Yes. Am I going to try it? Yes. But it will be several months. I am in the middle of a 11" FAL SBR project and it is draining my funds at the moment.

Krebs did theirs by pulling the gas block, taking a standard handguard retainer and cutting out the locking lever, drilling out the barrel hole so it would slide over the Vepr barrel, and making a new locking lever by using a screw that slid through the old locking lever holes and secured with a nut on the other side. They of course milled a corresponding slot in the barrel for the screw shaft to rest in.
I know this because I called and asked Mark Krebs.

I cannot, at the moment, think of another way to do the conversion. I am convinced the theory is sound though.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 4:42:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Biggerstick is correct. Krebs no longer does the custom stuff for individuals. There is a way to get a standard lower handguard on Vepr, but you would have to have access to a mill. You mill a new lower handguard retainer in the same dimensions as a standard one, then cut it in half horizontally. Slot the back side of the lower half to accept the "locking tang/tab" ,if you will, from the new lower handguard. You drill out the top half on both side to allow a 8-32 screw to slide through the holes. Drill the holes deep so the screw heads are recessed and you do not see them. Purely for asthetic reasons. The lower half you drill/tap to accept before mentioned 8-32 screw. It would work through tension. A barrel clamp if you will. Or, for more security, you can slot the top of the barrel to the same dimensions as the sideways width of the upper clamp piece and it would rest in the slot. The lower piece you can drill a hole centerline and your cleaning rod can slide through that.

Have I tried it yet? NO. Am I convinced it will work? Yes. Am I going to try it? Yes. But it will be several months. I am in the middle of a 11" FAL SBR project and it is draining my funds at the moment.

Krebs did theirs by pulling the gas block, taking a standard handguard retainer and cutting out the locking lever, drilling out the barrel hole so it would slide over the Vepr barrel, and making a new locking lever by using a screw that slid through the old locking lever holes and secured with a nut on the other side. They of course milled a corresponding slot in the barrel for the screw shaft to rest in.

I cannot, at the moment, think of another way to do the conversion. I am convinced the theory is sound though.

This is very close to the idea that I have came up with myself. I plan to build this piece in the future just for fun. If I get some free time in a machining class. I want to build a vepr with all traditional furniture to shove in the face of all the non believers. I will send you a pic of what I have come up with this far!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:12:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is very close to the idea that I have came up with myself. I plan to build this piece in the future just for fun. If I get some free time in a machining class. I want to build a vepr with all traditional furniture to shove in the face of all the non believers. I will send you a pic of what I have come up with this far!

Hell yeah!!!!
Let's do it!!!!!

The traditionalists are killing me!!!

Wait until they get a load of the Vepr SBR Krinkov 7.62x39mm I have going in the works with a company to do the custom work for me. I contacted them and told them what I wanted. They said no problem, they think they can do it!!!!! Almost total, modern Russian AK-47 Krinkov!!!!! I drool with giddiness and anticipation!!!!

Russian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 3:22:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell yeah!!!!
Let's do it!!!!!

Wait until they get a load of the Vepr SBR Krinkov 7.62x39mm I have going in the works with a company to do the custom work for me. I contacted them and told them what I wanted. They said no problem, they think they can do it!!!!! Almost total, modern Russian AK-47 Krinkov!!!!! I drool with giddiness and anticipation!!!!

Russian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HMMM How about a russian krink in .308? That would be just stupid man......Maybe when I hit the lotto
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell yeah!!!!
Let's do it!!!!!

Russian!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HMMM How about a russian krink in .308? That would be just stupid man......Maybe when I hit the lotto

Uhmm.... I already talked to a builder about doing a Vepr 7.62 Krink and he said it could be done. Like you said about the lotto though, I was informed I would need to be well bank rolled!!!!!!!!  Not having money is inconvienent.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top