Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page AK-47 » Russian
Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 7:31:07 PM EDT
Scored a Saiga in .30 Combloc (aka 7.62x39) at the Eastman show today. Cost $205+tax. Heck, I couldn't buy one direct from Aim Surplus for that price, once you figure in shipping. Out of the box, the sights were right on. Boy, was I surprised!

Anyway, I am considering a conversion on this gun, and one of the things I will want to do is sandblast and manganese phosphate the metal parts. The big question in my mind is: how do you get the doggone fore grip off??? Does the front sling swivel screw into some kind of bracket or something? My front sling swivel is very tight.

Also, I am planning a new FCG. What is the difference between a single hook trigger and a double hook one? That will give me three US parts. I am also planning a new pistol grip and buttstock. That makes five. Do I need any more?

TIA,
..Phil
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 9:28:26 PM EDT
man get the Gordon technolgies trigger group.

I have one in my AK-USA rifle and I tell you want its damn near as sweet as the Galils trigger.

It is awesome and helps shooting so much. It brakes at 4.6lbs and I think it feels perfect
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:13:25 AM EDT
Thanks, SLoV. Since I live right down the road a little ways from TAPCO, I figured that the Gordon or FSE would be the way to go. The Gordon that TAPCO carries is a double hook and the FSE is a single hook. I still don't understand the advantage of one over the other, But I will definitely consider the Gordon.

I need to place the order soon. AIM had a sale on steel AK mags for $7 (30-rd) and I ordered a basketful. I can't use them till I do the conversion.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:59:49 PM EDT
see my conversion post at the top of this forum!

Good luck, and welcome to the dark side!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:41:40 AM EDT
The double hook trigger needs another groove cut in the reciever.

I just rebuilt my Misr-90 and cut the other notch with a dremel. The cut off wheel was about half used up (makes it just the right size, I wouldn't try it with a new wheel) and was very careful. Make your initial cut a little small and just take it easy from there.

I also used the G-Tec double hook. I went to a webpage that showed how to polish the FCG and did that before I installed it. The trigger is incredibly smooth and light.

G-Tec is supposed to be the happy medium between FSE and Red Star. Mine had a little flash that I smoothed out when I polished it.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:12:51 PM EDT
I'll probably do most of the work on my mini-mill. I have a little more control that way.

I figured out how to get the handguard off. It slides over a cross pin that anchors the gas block and hangs out about 1/4 inch on each side. The swivel does have to come off, but it is the cross pin and the screw in the front bottom of the receiver that hold the handguard on. Crude, but effective.

What did you guys use to plug the old trigger axle holes with?
Page AK-47 » Russian
Top Top