Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2017 11:33:23 PM EDT
I'm debating on taking one of my Saiga conversions a bit further toward the traditional, authentic AKM 100/103 look, with the bayonet/cleaning rod lug and FSB muzzle break/flash hider. I'd need to change out the gas block and front sight block. I contacted a gun refinishing/gun-smith shop I used a while back to cerakote a Glock 19 slide for me, and they said they did not work on AKs, other than refinishing; they said they did not know a gun-smith in my area. I do not know of a gun-smith in my area that does this kind of work. I've called a couple I found info on online and left messages and never got a call back. 

So, I'm wondering about doing the work myself. I've seen it done on YouTube, but I'm not sure about all the beating and knocking with a pipe and a hammer to get the old gas block and FSB off, and then beat and knock the new ones back on. I have a nice metal table and vice set-up, but I don't have a hydraulic press. 

Is it possible to weld a bayonet/cleaning rod lug on to the original gas block and front sight? I did all the work on the conversions myself thus far, but have never removed a FSB or gas block.

Any comments or advice appreciated. 
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I've started to replace the pics since the photobucket fiasco, but have yet to finish. I do have text explaining.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ak-47/SAIGA-full-conversion-tutorial/64-152759/

There are plenty of people who have done this, and it's not too difficult, just not really cheap enough in this market anymore to make it worth while, to some.

Good luck, I will do my best to finish updating the pics
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've started to replace the pics since the photobucket fiasco, but have yet to finish. I do have text explaining.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ak-47/SAIGA-full-conversion-tutorial/64-152759/

There are plenty of people who have done this, and it's not too difficult, just not really cheap enough in this market anymore to make it worth while, to some.

Good luck, I will do my best to finish updating the pics
View Quote
Thanks! That is a great tutorial, and one I've skimmed over before in the past when researching the Saiga conversion process. I've done 3 of the Saiga conversions so far, but without replacing the trigger-guard/mag-lock combo or the lower hand-guard retainer, gas-block and FSB. I used the bolt-on lower hand guard retainer, and bolt-on trigger guard from CSS. I also replaced the factory gas tube with the standard AK74 gas tube and upper hand-guard. I still love my conversions as they are, but I saw one with the more comprehensive/complete conversion (like the one in your tutorial) sell on Gunbroker for over $1400. That got me to thinking, going a bit further with the conversion (gas-block, FSB with flash-hider and cleaning rod) would be an investment of sort... maybe:-).

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#3]
DSG Arms has their Magpul AK parts on clearance.  If you log in, you see a Zhukov forend for like $53.  As far as the front-end, I would just leave it the same as it is now (gas block, etc.) and put a Magpul Zhukov-S forend on it in your favorite color (Black/FDE/Plum/OD).  It clamps on and doesn't need any handguard retainer at all.  I would replace the gas tube with a normal AK74 one (may take some fitting) so I could get the top cover on the handguard.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
DSG Arms has their Magpul AK parts on clearance.  If you log in, you see a Zhukov forend for like $53.  As far as the front-end, I would just leave it the same as it is now (gas block, etc.) and put a Magpul Zhukov-S forend on it in your favorite color (Black/FDE/Plum/OD).  It clamps on and doesn't need any handguard retainer at all.  I would replace the gas tube with a normal AK74 one (may take some fitting) so I could get the top cover on the handguard.
View Quote
Thanks. I may consider the Zhukov option. 

Here is a pic of my Saiga triplets: the one on top (without the mag demples) I bought new for $278/$289(?) back in the early 2000s when they were reasonable. The other two I bought used locally, and paid a premium price, unconverted. All three are excellent shooters...

Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I keep my Saigas (.308 and 7.62x39) bone stock.

I like that they are AKs with Monte Carlo stocks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I keep my Saigas (.308 and 7.62x39) bone stock.

I like that they are AKs with Monte Carlo stocks.
View Quote
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Saiga in their original factory, sporterized/hunting rifle configuration. It's a high quality AK variant either way. 

I rather enjoyed doing the basic tactical conversions on the ones I have. If another unconverted one were to come up for sale locally, at a decent price, I might buy another one. Chances are, there won't be any more imported from Russia for a while...
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top