Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2016 11:34:13 PM EDT
A couple of questions for you guys, I always wanted a RPK but due to them no longer being imported I thought I would grab a VEPR and convert it to an RPK. I know it won't be a "true" rpk but I'm not worried about that. I converted VEPRs before so I would have no problem doing the work. My main issue is the Bipod.

I read that there's a small cut in the barrel to keep the bipod from moving up and down the barrel. Without messing with the barrel is there anyway to attach the bipod to the barrel?

Also on that note, How easy is it to remove the front sight post, then re-attach it after I put the bipod on?

Sorry If my info on this is wrong, Never seen a RPK IRL so I'm going off of some info on the web

Any info on this "project" would be great.

Link Posted: 11/14/2016 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I read that there's a small cut in the barrel to keep the bipod from moving up and down the barrel. Without messing with the barrel is there anyway to attach the bipod to the barrel?
View Quote

I bought a Egyptian 20 inch barrel MAADI RPM in 95/96, that has a bipod on it (it's actual a RPD bi-pod that had the legs cut down so it would fold underneath the shorter barrel) that I made into a quasi RPK

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/MAADI_RPM.jpg

the neat way how they attached the bi-pod to the barrel is that they pin on a sleeve.  it does 2 things, there is a ridge that stop the bipod from sliding back, and makes the area where the bipod attaches to larger. RPD barrels are thicker then the AKM barrel.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/RPM_SLEEVE.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/RPM_BIPOD.jpg

but since you stated you don't want to mess with the barrel, the  only thing I can come up is to do what the Chinese did when they put a bi-pod on their Nhm-91. they put a round "ring" on the  barrel and pinned it into place to keep the bi=pod from sliding back.  I suppose instead of pinning it on  the barrel.   you can drill holes in the "ring" and thread it for pointed  set screws to secure it to the barrel.  that piece will  need to be fabricated. just a very thick piece of metal, drill the hole out that is the same diameter as the barrel, drill and tap holes in the side for set screws, slide or press it on

http://picturearchive.gunauction.com/6309134224/10872770/ak-003.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

as to how easy it is to take the front sight off. the front sight is tight press fitted on the barrel, so you would need a press to take it off and back on.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 10:36:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Another idea for the ''ring'' to keep the bipod from sliding back in the above post would be to have one machined so that it clamps around the barrel in the exact same way scope rings hold a scope in place. The piece would be two halves of a ring with a screw on each side to tighten it down onto the barrel. You wouldn't have to take the FSB off.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:13:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys. I saw a vid on Youtube on how to remove the FSB. My main theory is to convert a VEPR with the basics (bullet guide, File the mag release, Buy a adapter for the stock).

But my main worry is trying to add a bipod to one. I wish I could find some vids/photos on how the bipod is attached. That way I could figure out a plan

I don't really want to touch the barrel (if possible). So I probably would try to find a "clamp" of some sorts.

I was looking at part's kits on GB and saw the FSB for RPKs have a "bipod catch" to catch the bipod from rotating 360 degrees. Should I buy a RPK parts kit and replace the VEPR with them?

By the way I don't own the VEPR yet, I'm just trying to figure out a game plan
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't believe that putting a RPK front sight on it will work

the RPK and AKM have different diameter barrels

Link Posted: 11/17/2016 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't believe that putting a RPK front sight on it will work

the RPK and AKM have different diameter barrels

View Quote
VEPR uses RPK diameter barrel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top