Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/11/2006 7:44:29 PM EDT
Is there anything that can be done about it or are most that way? It's a century wasr and the rest of it is pretty good as far as they go. (I got to hand pick it from a bunch) I didn't know if it's the threads on the barrel or brake that are under/over sized. I would like to take care of this before I move on to furnature clean up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:58:35 PM EDT
Mines loose too so I'm waiting for a reply also.

Here is a site with alot of useful info

www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/slapfix.htm
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:48:46 PM EDT
Every AK variant that I've ever held has a slightly wobbly slant brake.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:11:59 AM EDT
I inscrewd mine and put a small O ring under it. I had to really stretch ti to get it over the muzzle. Screwed the brake back on and it doesn't wiggle now. But, after it gets hot it might melt. But it would have to get really hot to do that. (I actually replaced the slant type with a AK74 type.)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:09:28 AM EDT
I think that all the muzzle devices are like that. It's the main reason you need to have that brake retaining pin installed. I suppose if you screwed it on tight enough, it might hold, but you may have to file the brake down so that the dimple for the brake retaining pin would point to the 12 o'clock position properly. I don't worry about it being a bit loose since the pin will hold it on the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:53:49 AM EDT
I also have a WASR that had the Muzzle nut welded on. I thought I was sure it had threads under that nut so I put on that little small rust colored cut-off wheel on my Dremel and went to work.

After carefully removing the weld and not any other material from the rifle, the index pin finally worked as it had not before. The nut was just tight against it but when it was loosened it was freed from tension. When I removed my nut there where 14x1mm LHT.

I was happy; although they were sloppy threads. They were all straight, but when I installed two other brakes they were loose and had a wobble to them. Just stick with the original AK slant brake. I used an AK-74 style, and even with a fabricated washer behind it( so it was very tight in the verticle position ), the slugs were glancing of the end of the brake causing some problems when shot; it was three feet high and to the left. way off the paper. LOL. I didn't notice this right away ( I did notice I wasn't hitting the paper though) but afterwards it was quite evident that the bullets where hitting the brake. It seems that the threads on my gun are just a lil smaller then they're supposed to be. That's Century Arms for ya.
See my post for info......

Stick with the original AK-47 slant brake. It might not look as cool as the AK-74 style but it seems to work on mine with a lil teflon tape added to stop to wobble. And the slant brake is original for the AK-47.

I think the wobble would effect the accuracy, don't you?
It seems that most people who replied all have a loose fit but I think some are more severe than others, as in my case, it's pretty bad.

Good luck

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:03:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:35:39 AM EDT
I did the O-ring thing for mow and it seemed to work OK. Don't know how long it'll last but I did use hi temp ones I had. I suppose I could shim it too, but sure don't need it getting hit and killing any accuracy. Just seem like some/alot were made that way from the replies so far. So maybe I won't let it drive me crazy, or the o-ring will be just fine. It's torn down and I'm sanding the wood and notched the selector for a "bolt hold open". I like to fix stuff anyway and make it more to my likeing.

Thanks for the replies guys. The site has been awesome for answering questions.(I don't have to ask 99% of them, just search first)
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 10:56:19 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SWBDirtDog:

Thanks for the replies guys. The site has been awesome for answering questions.(I don't have to ask 99% of them, just search first)

Yes it does seem that the "Dark Side" is much more helpful when it comes to AK education as opposed to the "Other Side" where we would be trashed for buying the Wasr in the first place and then asking for tips on improvment.

Thanks Dark Side!!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:47:43 AM EDT
LOL, I guess thats true. And to make matters worse my EBR is an Oly. I love it and runs/shoots great but they don't treat them too well on the other side here. Thats OK. I like both my "red headed stepchrildren" just fine.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:11:27 PM EDT
WAIT!!!!!!!

Don't knotch it yet!

Before you begin to cut your fire selecter you have to decide if you want to install a Buffer or not.
I made the mistake of cutting the knotch first and then weeks later I installed a Buffer....WHOOPS!

Now the bolt comes all the way back 1/4 inch less, "CRAP!!!" I said, now I would have to cut more on the selector to have it function properly again. There is now a rather large window on my selector.

Blackjack Buffers

Till the next gun show, I can live with it.

Ciao'
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:30:51 PM EDT
shave down the thread side of the muzzle device so it engages the notch when the back of the brake is tight against the fsb
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:40:40 PM EDT
Guys the slant breaks are susposed to be somewhat loose, that is why they added a dint pin!!! however one of my aks has no threads so i bought a threaded nuzzel device that adds threads by pinning a device to the barrel then i screwed a usa made slant break on and it screws on very tight with out a dint pin.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:23:37 AM EDT
Just take a file and take a little at a time off of the rear of your break until you can get another turn on the threads but take your time and file and fit, file and fit, until it takes just a little force with the hand to get it to turn until the detent pin locks. It should tighten that way and keep everything square. Madtechcool
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:34:30 PM EDT
It' supposed to be loose.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:02:32 PM EDT
Thanks for all the info. Loose no more it ain't.he
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:46:55 AM EDT
muzzle breaks are suppossed to be loose and at an angle.
Top Top