Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 11:58:16 AM EDT
I am trying to remove the wood cover the is on the gas tube. How does one go about accomplishing this task?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:02:19 PM EDT
Put a monkey wrench on the metal end (like where it connects to the site block) and then twist it off with your hand, being careful not to crack it.

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:15:08 PM EDT
I apologize. Let be be a little more specific. I have removed the gas tube. I want to remove the wood from the gas tube. If I do as you suggest, it appears that I would bend something that should not be bent. I am not to concerned about cracking the wood because I am putting a TAPCO Forearm on anyway. I was just wondering if there is an easier way to remove the wood as opposed to spintering it off.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:23:34 PM EDT
The upper handguard twists off the gas tube. You can put the rear of the tube in a vise and twist off the handguard.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:44:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tapeo1:
The upper handguard twists off the gas tube. You can put the rear of the tube in a vise and twist off the handguard.

I don't think that wil work for this one. The wood is lapped under the metal at both ends. I'll give it a try anyway.

Thanks guys and keep the suggestions coming.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:52:32 PM EDT
well, it worked, but there's nothing left of the wood.
Top Top