Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/10/2006 8:21:47 PM EDT
Got my kit in the mail today along with a new flat and rivet set, and have a few questions.  First, what does the orange "G" stand for on the driver side of the front trunnion?  Second, how much use did most of these kits recieve, either mine has been stored new since 1986 or they cleaned it really good before packing it full of grease and shipping it to the US.  Piston looks new, bore looks new, not a hint of abuse anywhere (not counting wood or the cut reciever), everything seems as if when I took it apart it was the first time ever.  These AK kits are a pretty good deal if you ask me.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted: First, what does the orange "G" stand for on the driver side of the front trunnion?  
img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/DSC02802.jpg

The orange "G" stands for "Garda" which is Romanian for guard. This past October, I went to the Romanian National Military Museum in Bucharest.  The rifles were for the Patriotic Guard and not the regular army.  The display for the black banded Patriotic Guard rifles said that they were semi-auto only.  All the full auto parts were in the rifle except that the full auto disconnector had the tail ground off which made it fire semi auto only.  The Patriotic Guard was mandatory service for all highschool aged kids... girls and boys.  Think of it as a combination of the Young Pioneers and the National Guard.  Here is a picture of the black banded Patriotic Guard rifle I took at the museum...

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted: First, what does the orange "G" stand for on the driver side of the front trunnion?  

The orange "G" stands for "Garda" which is Romanian for guard. This past October, I went to the Romanian National Military Museum in Bucharest.  The rifles were for the Patriotic Guard and not the regular army.  The display for the black banded Patriotic Guard rifles said that they were semi-auto only.  All the full auto parts were in the rifle except that the full auto disconnector had the tail ground off which made it fire semi auto only.  The Patriotic Guard was mandatory service for all highschool aged kids... girls and boys.  Think of it as a combination of the Young Pioneers and the National Guard.  Here is a picture of the black banded Patriotic Guard rifle I took at the museum...

tinypic.com/es95rr.jpg

Same as my kit, but cleaner and with a whole reciever...

Thanks for the info, that clears up a lot.  I started degreasing parts in my tub with scalding water and some degreaser and am noticing more and more things indicating my kit was never fired.  Bolt face is as virgin as it can get, bore is perfect, there are no powder marks anywhere and all parts S/N match the trunnion S/N.  I cant wait to get it together.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:20:49 AM EDT
[#3]
So ehere did you purchase your kit from? looks nice,and how much?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:00:38 AM EDT
[#4]
It looks like the kit I got from Scott at DPH arms.

Go here for some good links for parts and building tips
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=77594
And here
www.ak-builder.com

Once you register they have a video section that shows you how to build your AK.
www.ak-builder.com/ak/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1

Good luck
 FREE

Quoted:

Quoted:

tinypic.com/es95rr.jpg

Same as my kit, but cleaner and with a whole reciever...

Thanks for the info, that clears up a lot.  I started degreasing parts in my tub with scalding water and some degreaser and am noticing more and more things indicating my kit was never fired.  Bolt face is as virgin as it can get, bore is perfect, there are no powder marks anywhere and all parts S/N match the trunnion S/N.  I cant wait to get it together.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/DSC02804.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/nf9648/DSC02805.jpg

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top