Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/15/2003 2:20:44 PM EDT
I went to a gun show last weekend looking for a SAR-1 no luck, but I found a guy with a WASR-10 for $300 and he only had one left. What is the difference between the two and is $300 a good deal. I am very new to AK's and I don't want to lose this deal if it's a good one, but I dont want to get something that is subpar to a SAR-1 thanks for your help...
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 10:31:41 PM EDT
The difference between the WASR-10 and the SAR-1 is all in their original configurations. The SAR-1 is exported as a double stack magazine firing rifle, while the WASR-10 is exported as a single stack magazine firing rifle. Many importers open the magwells of the WASR-10's to allow them to use the common double stack magazines, because the single stacks are more rare.

It's probably just as reliable as my SAR-1, but as I have never fired a modified WASR-10 I couldn't say for sure.

www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Romanian_AK_WASR_10_7_62x39_Rifle.html

AIM Surplus has the WASR-10 Hi-Cap for $ 279.95 prior to any shipping and FFL transfer costs, so deoending on where you live, $ 300.00 might not be too bad for an out the door ready to go buy.

- Nw -
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 3:52:33 AM EDT
My biddy has a WASR-10 hi-cap and it pretty much is identical to my SAR-1. I've fired it as well and its great! I think he paid $260 for his. I really think that once the WASR-10 has been converted, its a clone of the SAR-1!!! Good rifle!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:55:13 AM EDT
Look for the usualy Romy gun straightness, and legal US parts count for a hicap. Otherwise they can be fine if the mag well mods were doen right. Sloppy fit can range from annoying to feeding issues. Bit loose is normal for an AK but floppy is not. Find another higher-end AK at another table/shop for comparison. $300 is fine for a gun you can check out before you buy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 2:26:48 PM EDT
Thanks for the help guys..
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:15:23 PM EDT
As others have stated, the SAR is designed to accept double-stack mags (and they have a little dimple on the receivers to prove it), while the WASRs are designed to accept single-stack mags. The importer(s) enlarge the mag wells on the WASRs to accommodate the double-stacks. So, everything being equal, one would probably prefer an SAR.

But everything is not equal. There are many reports of the WASRs having better furniture, they typically sell for about $40 less than the SARs, and I've never heard that the WASR accuracy is any poorer than the SARs.

In my humble opinion, I would probably pay $10 or $20 more for an SAR, but I strongly suspect the WASRs are probably functionally just as good. I've shot a WASR-10, and it was very accurate, there was no appreciable magazine wobble, and there were no problems.
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 1:24:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/21/2003 1:25:41 PM EDT by Fez]
Yeah, I'm still deciding on whether to get a WASR10 or the SAR1, while I seen SAR1's on the net for $280 and WASR10's for $270 for the double stacks (single stacks are about 100 bucks cheaper. And from what I've read I think it's almost identical to the SAR1, besides that dragonuv buttstock that is so ugly. And I've heard people say that the mags on the WASR10's are wobblier. ::shrugs::

But if you're not badly inneed of money such as myself, and can afford to pay the 10-30 dollars more for the SAR1, I'd get the SAR1, gotta wait 'til x-mas rolls around to see what I can afford.

Top Top