Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/6/2003 10:38:32 PM EDT
I ordered a different pistol grip from Kvar to put on my SAR1, but as I was pulling it out of the package I noticed the sticker on it said imported from Romania and remembered something, if I remove the black grip that came on it and put this new one on it, that would make it less 1 U.S. made part wouldn't it? And then that would make it illegal wouldn't it? If that's the case then what If I buy a U.S. made brake and have it permanently attached, then can I put this imported grip on my SAR1?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:04:43 AM EDT
[#1]
SARs from Century have the grip as a US part. The issue is not how many US parts, but the number of foreign parts. Adding a US brake to a  gun which did not have a brake to begin with, will not reduce the foreign count to allow the substitution of a foreign grip.

Not the thing that gets you busted at the range. But a local was driving to a shoot this summer, pulled over by a state hwy man for something else, arrested for 'machine guns' that were simple factory AR and AK semis, 7hrs in cuffs, guns missing from the evidence room, and an ongoing lawsuit.

In case the officer already has a case of the ass, keep your toys in order.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that info. So if I understand correctly, what I would need to do to make the pistol grip compliant is to find another part on the rifle that is imported and replace it with a US made part, then I can add the pistol grip? Of course my very next question is going to be- What parts on my SAR1 are imported and which part would be easiest to replace so I can put on the pistol grip. The grips not a big deal, I was just trying to go with a bakelite grip to help match my refinished buttstock, but If Im treading on thin ice by trying to work around the legal issue, then I'm going to leave well enough alone. Anyone want to buy an imported pistolgrip from me? LOL
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 10:44:49 AM EDT
[#3]
It would be easier to order the correct compliant grip.  K-Var has US made grips.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, what I wanted wasnt offered as a US made part. I was wanting a brown/bakelite style grip to better match my stock set I refinished, the only US made grips I saw were black, plum, and green. Maybe I didnt look closer when I ordered. Oh well, no sweat, maybe I can take a black US grip and give it a feaux finish to match a bakelite grip.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#5]
If you just NEED a factory brown grip, the screwy ATF does allow each of the mag body, follower and floorplate to count as a part. So if you are willing to guard/babysit you mag parts forever, you may dig up some US followers/floorplates somewhere. Or start practicing on painting that Century part it came with.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#6]
The SAR-1's use pistol grips, gas pistons and the hammer/trigger/disconnector for 5 replacement parts. The AK works without a large number of parts.

So to use an imported pistol grip you would need to change out the handguards or stock. Well, that won't do you any good as you're wanting the pistol grip to match the original stocks.

US made barrels, bolts, bolt carriers, receivers and the trunion that is riveted into the front of the receiver to mount the barrel count in reducing the number of imported parts. But these parts don't exist (bolts/carriers/trunions) or are not your easy to replace-do-it-yourself parts.

I don't think there is an easy way to do what you want to do. If you find one let me know. I was kinda' wanting to put a bakelite grip on my rifle like you.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I think Global Trades has a US made brown plastic grip.  K-Var has said that they might have a red/brown (Romanian style) grip some time in the future.  I'd just change out your mag followers/floorplates.  If only somebody made USA followers/floorplates for the 5.45x39 AKs.....I really would like to use the funky E German red/brown pebble plastic furniture on my 5.45 but no go because of the parts count.  
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top