Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2003 6:51:06 AM EDT
About 6 years back I owned a Norinco MAK90...loved that thing, very reliable. I later traded it in for a new AR15 (the only way I could afford a new one) just to have something different for a while.  Now I want to buy an AK variant in the 7.62x39 caliber and have read a lot of good things about SAR1s.

My question is are there any other 7.62 variants besides Romanians (with pistol grips) worth looking at in that price range (I'm not that familiar with variants of the AK)??  If so could you provide retail links.

If the Romanian is the only or optimal choice in that price range then it looks like Aim Surplus is the place to go.
Thanks,
Rob
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:59:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the SAR-1 is the best bet for the money at this time. Sorry you sold your MAK, they are good little guns.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Chaos. Yea, I kinda regret getting rid of that thing, I was younger back then and couldn't afford to have both. I guess I'll look into an SAR1. I already want the SAR2....these things are addicting as hell, more so than ARs in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 2:42:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Get one, you won't regret it.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Get one, you won't regret it.

The dark side already got a hold of me.
Is Aim Surplus still the place place to get one, and the hand picked option is desireable I assume?

Thanks everyone
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 1:31:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think I'd wait too much longer, if I were you - as of thursday, AIM only had 27 of the SAR-1's left...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 2:55:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't have a SAR-1 but have a SAR-3 and love it, I say go for it and yes AIM is the place to go.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 4:41:57 AM EDT
[#7]
As a recent member of the 'dark side' I say hurry up and get a SAR-1.  I love mine and since they are not importing any more grab one from aimsurplus before they are all gone.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 5:26:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:39:04 AM EDT
[#9]
"Wait much longer and you won't have to worry about whether you want one or not..."

You got THAT right - I sent in a MO, and the signed FFL by priority mail on tuesday morning, and by wednesday they were down to 50 of them, and my order hadn't showed up, yet!!! By thursday, that had dropped to 27 left - talk about getting a little nervous???!!! I would've sent it in next day air, except someone on the phone there had told me they had plenty of SAR-1's when I got the info for the order on monday, so I figured another day or two wouldn't be a biggie - I was wrong... I talked to Linda, told her what happened, and she was pretty helpful... She had me call friday morning @10 AM, and said they'd make sure they had a rifle for me when my order DID show up - fortunately, my order had already showed up that morning... I'm really looking forward to wringing out this SAR-1 - it'll be a nice toy to go along with my Bushmaster A2... I ordered an SAR-1, a blackjack buffer, and 5 polish 30 rounders - for a total out of pocket of $372 - a pretty good value, if you ask me... So far, my AIM experience has been good - I'll let you all know how it turns out after I get my rifle and mags...

- georgestrings

Link Posted: 11/1/2003 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Wait much longer and you won't have to worry about whether you want one or not...

Aimless is right.  Don't wait much longer.  I kept putting off getting a SAR-2 and before I knew it AIM was out!  I searched on Gunbroker and found one but I was getting a little nervous.  If you are thinking about it think quickly.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I already have 1, but was thinking of getting a second one sometime after the first of the year. It's not a do or die kind of thing, since I'll probably just go with the group buy rifle and have something a little different instead of another 7.62 ( I like variety), but what of the availability of the SAR1? Once they're gone that's it?
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Damn, I'll get on it first thing Monday morning and overnight everything. I figure there isn't anything I can do over the weekend.

Thanks all
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:33:57 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Once they're gone that's it?

At least for now.  Century isn't importing any more so what is here is it.  I read somewhere that Century said they could start importing them in April but I'm not sure if that is true.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 9:35:28 AM EDT
[#14]
I got an sar-1 from a local gunshop and love it. I would highly recomend it. plus ammo is cheap as hell. I would definetly go with aim surpluss, the gun shop I went caryed sar-1's and wouldnt order one from aim for me,so I ended up paying $50 more for it. Hope you enjoy it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I got an sar-1 from a local gunshop and love it. I would highly recomend it. plus ammo is cheap as hell. I would definetly go with aim surpluss, the gun shop I went caryed sar-1's and wouldnt order one from aim for me,so I ended up paying $50 more for it. Hope you enjoy it.

That stinks.  I bought mine from my local shop but she dropped the price $50 for me!  It's nice too, straight front site and gas block, laminate stock & 40 round mag.  My dealer is well aware of the 'deals' out here on the internet and she does what she can to stay competitive.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 1:44:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Once they're gone that's it?

At least for now.  Century isn't importing any more so what is here is it.  I read somewhere that Century said they could start importing them in April but I'm not sure if that is true.

Oh, so there are certain "windows" of opportunity to import stuff? I have to be honest, I never really have quite understood the import ban except for the number of parts issue. So it confused me a little when I was told the SAR1 I was buying was a 2003 model. That seems to tell me they make them non stop and whoever imports them whenever but converts them to conform to the import law? I Guess I need to read up on the import ban.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 7:35:09 PM EDT
[#17]
PIcked up a 2003 laminated SAR1 from a dealer for $299.00 in September . Already have a 1999 Sar2 which I have made into a early AK74 clone. Back to my SAr1 , it is outstanding as  a shooter, with  no p[orblems at all. I have noticd that  the  Centruy hammer seems to be  of the hard type like original AK hammers which is a improvement over earlier Century hammers which have a tendency to peening. I did replace my 1999 hammer on the Sar2 because of such peening which, although no harm to the weapon, bugged me.  NO trigger slap ,by the way on the two Sar's i have. trigger slap can be found in pre ban hungrians and Maadis, by the way.  I  JB welded a slant brake on the Sar1 and it works great and wont go anywhere either!  
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I just called my local dealer that I have dealt with for the last 15 years or so and asked about their SAR-1 stock.  He said he hadn't heard anything about not getting anymore but also told me he only had 3 in stock.  I told him to tag the best looking one for me and I would be over in an hour to put a deposit on it. $379 is a little more than I wanted to pay, but I have checked out their stock and it is excellent.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 6:24:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Of course the news is out that the supply is drying up, and therefore the price is going up...law of relative scarcity takes over!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Snooze you loose.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:41:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Buy what you can when you can. And don't look back. (And then don't sell them either!)

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top