Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/22/2003 1:32:06 PM EDT
Okay, I'm going to buy an AK. I was set on an SAR-1 from AIMSurplus, but then I did a little looking around and saw that Southern Ohio Gun has "Romanian AK-47"s for about $20 less. Figuring that Romanian AK's were SAR-1's, I emailed SOG and asked if the Romanian AK's on the website were, in fact, SAR-1's. Their reply was: "They are not the SAR-1".

So my question is, what is it? Are SAR-1's not Romanian AK's? What is SOG selling? Am I better off paying $20 more for an SAR-1? I've heard good things about the SAR-1's from AIM, and the ones they're selling now are the 2003 models. I need some guidance here!

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 1:36:02 PM EDT
The guns SOG has are most likely wasr-10 which is a low cap gun converted to take high caps. I have heard some of the conversions are not the best in workmanship. I would spend the extra $20 for an SAR.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:00:39 PM EDT
I own 2 SAR 1s and 1 WASR 10 hi-cap. There are minute diferences between the 2. Some WASRs were redone by Century Arms to accept the hi-cap mags. When they arrive here they only take 10 round mags. I find no differences in shooting the 2 or anything else. All being what they are I would buy the SAR 1, $20 is nothing to worry about. Both good guns its just a personnal like or dislike.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 3:07:47 PM EDT
Due to the shortage of SAR-1 rifles. All the old WASR-10 rifles that have been sitting around are being converted. As stated earlier, quality can vary.

SOG is not a very good company to deal with in things like this. If these is a problem with the rifle, it is your problem, and they will do nothing to help you out.

My 2 cents, spend the extra $20 and go with the ZSAR from AIM.
Top Top