Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/3/2003 9:53:21 PM EDT
I'm know about forged AR recievers, but i'm new to milled recievers...

1)How are they different? i.e. how are they made etc...(forged vs. milled)

2)How can you if a reciever is milled?

3)Whats tougher/better?
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:34:17 AM EDT
[#1]
In Aks the question is really milled v stamped.  In a milled receiver one starts with a large heavy block of steel then machine tools cut away everyting that is not gonna be the gun until the receiver is finsihes.  In a stamped receiver, a flat piece steel is placed in a huge stamping press and smashed into shape.  Stamped receivers are every bit as durable as milled and weigh about 2 pounds less.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#2]
You can't blindly state which one is tougher/better. Each gun was designed with a particular method in mind. For AK's, roughly speaking, there's generation 1, 2, 3 and AKM. Gen 2 and 3 were made with milled receivers, gen 1 and AKM with stamped. AR's are made from forged receivers. Some rifles are designed for casting. It all depends on the manufacturing process the designer had in mind.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top