Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2017 4:02:59 PM EDT
I just built a sweet shorty AR that I've been wanting for years (~$700 total). It looks and feels awesome! Haven't shot it yet, but I saw this sweet SAR-1 for sale and I think I want it worse. Still has the box, and like new condition. Am I crazy? My logic is that I can just build another AR shorty, but SAR's are getting hard to find, especially in this condition. I'd much rather keep both but simply put, I have zero cash...
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My logic is that I can just build another AR shorty, but SAR's are getting hard to find
View Quote

This is what I was going to say
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an AK that is set up very well. UTG railed handguard, Ace folding stock, Aimpoint micro on a scope mount, duracoated, nice muzzle brake and pistol grip ETC.
I have many other rifles as well and never end up shooting my AK even with it being a nicely set up version. I just never cared for how they shoot. I basically have it for the point of having an AK. I have thought of selling it to fund a CZ Scorpion but have never brought myself to do it.

My point is that if you want a gun to shoot then you will be better off with an AR, if you want an AK just to have one then it's a good idea but you will likely not shoot it much once the thrill wears off.  AK's are sort of clunky and unrefined compared to most any other modernish rifle.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an AK that is set up very well. UTG railed handguard, Ace folding stock, Aimpoint micro on a scope mount, duracoated, nice muzzle brake and pistol grip ETC.
I have many other rifles as well and never end up shooting my AK even with it being a nicely set up version. I just never cared for how they shoot. I basically have it for the point of having an AK. I have thought of selling it to fund a CZ Scorpion but have never brought myself to do it.

My point is that if you want a gun to shoot then you will be better off with an AR, if you want an AK just to have one then it's a good idea but you will likely not shoot it much once the thrill wears off.  AK's are sort of clunky and unrefined compared to most any other modernish rifle.
View Quote
I don't shoot hardly any of my guns right now because I'm too lazy to go the range. I think that's why I'm drifting towards more collectible guns rather than shooters.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:46:18 PM EDT
[#4]
The SAR value has nowhere to go but up, ARs fluctuate, but AKs will never get any cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 5:04:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The SAR value has nowhere to go but up, ARs fluctuate, but AKs will never get any cheaper.
View Quote
Well they might get cheaper if the Russian sanctions were dropped or if 922r was repealed. But yea, I agree, especially with the older AK's.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the SAR-1.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

OP, get the SAR. You can build another AR pistol today if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 2:16:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have an AK that is set up very well. UTG railed handguard, Ace folding stock, Aimpoint micro on a scope mount, duracoated, nice muzzle brake and pistol grip ETC...
...AK's are sort of clunky and unrefined compared to most any other modernish rifle.
View Quote
Well now, there's your problem:

Remove all of the tacticool crap, and it'll no longer be "clunky".
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes OP, your logic is sound.. and you should swap for it while nice SAR's can still be found.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 4:01:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I wouldn't trade you my well used SAR1 for an AR pistol if that helps.

I bought mine new and I don't know how many rounds it has but it has been in my stable as a "shooter" ever since. I keep it well greased in the moving parts but never clean it other than a bore snake.  I treat it horribly yet it has never hiccuped.  Mine had trigger slap that go annoying but a Tapco G2 set corrected that.  

I'd say go for it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 3:48:03 AM EDT
[#11]
I would trade !  
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:46:11 AM EDT
[#12]
I would make that trade as fast as I possibly could.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:49:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Almost makes me sick to my stomach for selling mine back when. My ex wife and I bought two of them at Classic Arms in Monroe NC ( Indian Trail ). We got a discount for buying two, and paid $250 each OTD. Regular price was $279. We got two cases of Wolf for $69/1000 case. The rifles came with cleaning kits, slings, clip loader and strippers, and 4 Eastern Combloc mags. We bought 12 more Combloc mags for $12/4.

2002, Crazy good deals.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I just traded one of my AR15s for a used SAR1 from 2002 this past week at a local gun store. It was a PSA mid-length 16" barrel with mag-pul stock and grip and the freedom nitride upper and bolt-carrier. They were asking $689 for the SAR1 and I almost got my money back on the AR on the trade, but not quite. Still, I was well pleased with the trade; as someone else mentioned, they are not making/importing any more SAR1s. ARs are pretty easy to come by at decent prices these days.

Plus, I have a few more ARs around the house, along with the SAR1. :-)

Link Posted: 10/30/2017 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#15]
My Sar 1 is very accurate and is my favorite AK for sure.  The Sar 1 is a real deal Romanian factory make semi auto AKM.
Link Posted: 12/12/2017 6:36:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I have both an AR15 10.5 pistol and a Romy G AK.  The AR is more probably my go to for home protection.  The AK also is a bit more finicky and I would say doesn't run as clean as the AR.  This AK is for 1977 though and still sending lead down range.  I recently gave the AK a better cleaning and will take it to the range next outing.  With the AK I normally just run wolf on the cheap though.  Bought a 1000 round case a long time ago and still not done with it.  I dont get out that often though.....

I am waiting on iron sights for the ar though just finished it and checked it out once.  I got a heavy discount on an 80 kit for $330 shipped over memorial day on the ar from thunder tactical.....decent for the money.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:32:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Get the SAR-1.
View Quote
Do this now!
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 6:47:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Swap.  You can do another pistol for less later.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 7:03:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Get the SAR-1.
View Quote
Yep
I have one.
Nice f&f
Nice wood.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top