Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/31/2012 10:25:54 AM EDT
I picked up my new WASR this AM.  So far it's bare-bones, I've had AK's before but wound up selling/swapping before I did any serious upgrades.  This rifle is a keeper, I have a spare Eotech lying around that's going on it, I have a spare light as well.  Please advise me on a decent rail system, magazines, and I'll need a  load carriage system,  I've been looking at chest harnesses vs.  Tacos or something similar.  If you were going to start all over with an AK platform would you do anything differently, and if yes, why?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#1]
EOTechs tend to be a little less indestructible than Aimpoints. People have literally cooked EOTechs to death by mounting them on Ultimaks. If you want to run the holosight then get a sidemount or a topcover tail. Midwest Industries or Texas Weapons Systems.

As for mags, steel, steel, and steel. Whatacountry has tons of 30-round steel mags in stock, they're all you'll need.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 11:07:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
EOTechs tend to be a little less indestructible than Aimpoints. People have literally cooked EOTechs to death by mounting them on Ultimaks. If you want to run the holosight then get a sidemount or a topcover tail. Midwest Industries or Texas Weapons Systems.

As for mags, steel, steel, and steel. Whatacountry has tons of 30-round steel mags in stock, they're all you'll need.

Thanks, glad to know about the mounts for a holo.  Why do you prefer steel mags over the polymer choices for this platform?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, glad to know about the mounts fora holo.  Why do you prefer steel mags over the polymer choices for this platform?

Promags and Tapcos break a hell of a lot easier, that's why. Get steel surplus mags. Good luck trying to break those.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Okay, soooo.......MFT rails, yay or nay?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:22:05 PM EDT
[#5]
For the light, I would choose the tri-rail from DBMG and I would put the Eotech on a MI Rail and be done with it.
The Eotech will sit quite high on an AK since it was designed to co-witness on an AR.  No way around that.

Link Posted: 3/31/2012 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For the light, I would choose the tri-rail from DBMG and I would put the Eotech on a MI Rail and be done with it.

The Eotech will sit quite high on an AK since it was designed to co-witness on an AR.  No way around that.

I was looking at the MI mount earlier and I think that'll work.  I like the compactness of the Tri-Rail, thanks for the recommendation.  Load carriage?  Strike Hard Gear, Beez, or 7.62?
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Load carriage?  Strike Hard Gear, Beez, or 7.62?

Everyone has their brand, mine is OSOE.  Outstanding quality.  I purchased my OSOE AK Micro Rig direct from OSOE, but got the H-harness for it from AGS.

Link Posted: 4/1/2012 4:57:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why do you prefer steel mags over the polymer choices for this platform?

The Bulgarian polymer magazines are good, but they cost about 2.5 or 3 times what a surplus steel magazine costs. There's no way the polymer magazine can be "3 times better" than the steel magazine so the polymers are not cost effective.
Link Posted: 4/1/2012 8:55:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 2:25:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Everyone has their brand, mine is OSOE.  Outstanding quality.  I purchased my OSOE AK Micro Rig direct from OSOE, but got the H-harness for it from AGS.

I don't have a dog in this fight but some interesting reading here about OSOE :

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_109/929579_John_Willis__OSOE.html

I had heard of people having problems with John well before that thread was made.  Although I have never had a problem in my direct dealings with him (1 purchase), these days I will only purchase OSOE items through a stocking dealer.

Link Posted: 4/2/2012 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 6:00:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't have a dog in this fight but some interesting reading here about OSOE :

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_109/929579_John_Willis__OSOE.html

I had heard of people having problems with John well before that thread was made.  Although I have never had a problem in my direct dealings with him (1 purchase), these days I will only purchase OSOE items through a stocking dealer.

I purchased a LBV from him shortly before he opened his OSOE shop and received my order within the length of time he specified.  However, if I buy anymore of his gear it'll be through a different vendor.
Link Posted: 4/27/2012 3:24:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the MI extended rail, but I run it with an Aimpoint Micro in the optic specific top cover, but it I were to mount an Eotech I would definitely go with the TWS dogleg.  It's a little expensive, but its the only way I would go with that optic because they are really meant for an AR.  +1 on the steel mags as well.  The only polymer mags I really like is the US palm Mags.  I only have one because I got it from a buddy which is good becasue I would never pay $30 for a magazine.  In the end of the day though they are still plastic.  TAPCO poly's are a good range mag, but if SHTF they would stay in my safe and my steel mags would be coming with me.  good luck with your choice though.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2012 4:52:08 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks, glad to know about the mounts for a holo.  Why do you prefer steel mags over the polymer choices for this platform?

They are the way to go for 7,62 AK's.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top