Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page AK-47 » Chinese
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 1:01:48 PM EDT
I really need to stop going to the fun shop. Anyway, today I only had a few classes, and it was Payday, so I thought I'd check it out and see. What to I find but the following:

Norinco made and stamped MAK-90 (with butthole)
1st two of serial is 94, so I assume a 1994 import date
Importer: C&A VA Beach, VA
No threads or bayonet lug/cleaning rod retainer
Bolt and Carrier in the White, a little discoloration, but not much use
Beautiful bore
HG is a little loose, but still very nice--no dings, etc.
A little bit of handling marks, but that's about it; Overall, I'd rate it 90-95%
I figured it was a slant cut, but lo and behold, when the butthole came off, it's a straight cut receiver

Price OTD: $273.07

Let me know how you think I made out
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:00:30 PM EDT
I'll give you two thumbs up for that price!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:31:57 PM EDT
You Done Good! Does yours say "Mak90 Sporter", if so even better?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:53:41 PM EDT
Yep, says it right above the Caliber marking on the left side under the front trunion. Does anyone know what kind of wood the Chinese used? I think it would be awesome if Ironwood or someone else could get some blanks and make up stock sets in the blonde. I've also considered getting a Maple Ironwood set and trying my hand at matching the blondish/orangish stain.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:14:52 PM EDT
You did really well!

[begin long boring story] A dealer at the gunshow that I went to last weekend had a MAK-90, sporting Chinese wood, and what appeared to be the original Chinese trigger (couldn't see any more because he had a zip tie going through the action). I still don't know how he got around 922(r) with that thing because it was in original (i.e. pistol grip) configuration with the drop down stock, blonde wood, and all; was definitely a MAK-90 (had MAK-90 sporter stamped on the side); and the jerk was trying to pawn it off as pre-ban and had a price tag of $750 on it. I questioned him as to the origin of the gun, and how a MAK-90 with the first two digits in the serial being 93 could be considered pre-ban since that particular configuration was banned in 1989. He had the nerve to tell me that I did not know what I was talking about and it was pre-ban because it was mfg before 1994. I feel sorry for whoever buys it at that price and gets hammered by the BATF for a non-compliant imported gun. [/end long boring story]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:27:54 AM EDT
If it says "Mak90 Sporter", it's probably an actual Polytech manufacture run from "386" plant! Polytech & Norinco are just the Exporters for the Chinese. It was actually made earlier than 1989 and really is a Preban weapon from the stand point of Quality & Craftmanship. As for the BATF is concerned it is a Postban item.

I would hold on to to it. I have several "Sporters". You get what you pay for. Physical compare it to a Polytech Preban AK. The Quality is the same if not better.

Mines shoot like there is no tomorrow!
Page AK-47 » Chinese
Top Top