Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2006 5:03:23 AM EDT
I have a practically NIB AK47S(I fired the gun 10 times) that I am thinking of selling. I would say the gun was manufactured by Norinco,but there are no stampings on it. The stamping says" AK 47S 7.62 X 39 MM, MADE IN CHINA". The gun was imported by R.A.I. in what I would guess to be Woodbridge Hills,C.A.( kinda hard to read). I have the original box,foam,instructions,brown bayonet/w sheath,3 mags,cleaning kit/ w bottle,and sling. The sticker on the outside of the box reads "AKM 7.62 x 39 RIFLE W/FLD STK ACC PAC 107". Anyone able to give me a value on this gun? I saw one this morning on GUNBROKER.COM NIB for a ridiculas $1799. I can send photos if needed. Thanks and my e-mail is [email protected]; don't reply thru AR15.com; it doesn't work. Thanks again.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:06:48 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a practically NIB AK47S(I fired the gun 10 times) that I am thinking of selling. I would say the gun was manufactured by Norinco,but there are no stampings on it. The stamping says" AK 47S 7.62 X 39 MM, MADE IN CHINA". The gun was imported by R.A.I. in what I would guess to be Woodbridge Hills,C.A.( kinda hard to read). I have the original box,foam,instructions,brown bayonet/w sheath,3 mags,cleaning kit/ w bottle,and sling. The sticker on the outside of the box reads "AKM 7.62 x 39 RIFLE W/FLD STK ACC PAC 107". Anyone able to give me a value on this gun? I saw one this morning on GUNBROKER.COM NIB for a ridiculas $1799. I can send photos if needed. Thanks and my e-mail is [email protected]; don't reply thru AR15.com; it doesn't work. Thanks again.  

Email sent.  

Basically it boils down to the question of your rifle being a pre 1989 (i.e. pre-ban) versus post 1989 rifle.  Pre 1989, expect a high price.  Post 1989 expect slightly more than the current going rate for AKs currently on the market.  

If it were me, I would purchase another Norinco before purchasing those junk Romanian AKs currently on the market.  I have always thought of Romania as the ghetto of the Communist Bloc countries.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
 I have always thought of Romania as the ghetto of the Communist Bloc countries.

+1
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Romanian AKs are some of the best made....here you get worked over guns by people who dont know shit....the military AKs and G kits are all excellent guns. Romanians have some of the best chromed bores there is. Think twice before condemming a real gun with a reworked one.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:45:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Romanian AKs are some of the best made....here you get worked over guns by people who dont know shit....the military AKs and G kits are all excellent guns. Romanians have some of the best chromed bores there is. Think twice before condemming a real gun with a reworked one.

I still think the Bulgarians milled AK variants are WAY superior when compared to even the Romanian Military rifles.  I have handled one of the Romanian Military variants put together by Red Jacket Firearms, and I still prefer the milled Bulgarian because it feels like it is more solid than the stamped Romanian.  I would also bet good money that the Bulgarian is more accurate.

Besides grabbing another Norinco or Poly Technologies, I would love to get my hands on a Bulgarian SLR-95 (or a properly converted SLR 101) and I am still kicking myself in the ass for not picking a new SLR-95 up for $360 at a gunshow back in 1996.  I had the cash in my hands and ended up telling the dealer NO after I talked him down from $450.  Looking back, I see that was a dumb ass mistake to pass on that rifle.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#5]
This link might give you a ballpark figure.  Sounds like your rifle except this was unfired and has the underfolding bayo which will bring more money.
www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976543236.htm  HTH

I would say at least $700.00 for yours
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:21:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I also have an AK47S w/ the spike bayo.  SN: 02XX.  IIRC, the importer is marked as "FTC. Woodland Hills, CA."  Like yours, mine is not marked Polytech or Norinco & has more of a dirty blonde furniture set as compared to the one shown in the GB link above.

Mine currently has a fat checkered Chinese pistol grip, which may not be original but can be easily replaced if it's not.  Of concern to me is, I'll be damned if I can get the slant comp off.  I think it's "frozen".

I personally value mine @ $900 even though it has been fired some & shows handling marks to the finish. (Perfectly expected for not being "NIB" and having a couple decades under its belt)  While some might find that high @ the moment, I'm willing to sit on it for 20 years or so and then we'll see what it's value really is.  If you're wanting to move yours on the market, I'd say the $700 range is reasonable, perhaps a bit less if you're in a hurry to move it.  Hell, new production Arsenals run much more and can't claim to have the intrinsic value of a Chi-comm.  NO, I'm not knocking Arsnenal Inc's product! as it's hella-good for current production- ready to use & abuse. Just stating that what is forbidden is often the sweetest fruit.

Froot!  <------ Sorry, felt obliged to add that.

Sly
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Poly AKS that is probably 95% (to your 98%) and might be tempted  to sell at about $900-$950, but......

This is an all-time classic firearm that is built like a tank.  Your great-grandchildren will still be shooting it long after you are gone.

Think about it.  What AK do you have that is superior in any way?  Arsenal (Las Vegas) is selling rifles for $1,300-$1,400 that will never have the soul of an AKS.  Never.

I've thought about it.....sell something else!  The AKS is a keeper.

EDIT:  Oops - just re-read the thread.  Looks like you have a Norinco.  Sell it fast for $750 and get a Poly AKS for a bit more cake.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

It wasn't made by Norinco, it was made by a Chinese arms factory, and exported by China Jing An.

www.internetliberationfront.com/articles/chinajingan.shtml

I'd say no more than $850 if you want to move it. $750 if you want to move it soon.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all of the info everyone. As soon as I get my digital camera back from my girlfriend Sunday, I plan on taking some better photos and listing the gun on the EE next week. I might even try Gunbroker.com and see how it goes. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:32:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Andy, I think its a Jin An as well.  I posted something similar this past weekend trying to identify an AK47S I just picked up.  The serial number is close to yours (starting with 870) and the wood is identical.  Only diufference is, mine's an underfolder and it doesnt have a bayonet.  From what I understand, the 87 prefix meant it was made in 1987, so I think its safe to say you have a 'pre ban'.  Im attempting to contact the company out in CA to get some documentation for mine.  My rifle, however, has absolutely no importation marks, anywhere (Ive broke it down completely and been over it with a fine tooth comb).  Im thinking if that firm in CA is still around (they seem to be), they will know whether or not, by serial #, they were indeed the original US importers of this rifle.  The guy selling it thought it was a Polytech or Norinco, but when I showed him there were no markings, he sold it to me as a 'generic Chinese AK47', lol.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#11]
If it is pre-ban and it wasn't modified, it will have a blond wood pistol grip. All Chinese rifles imported before the ban had this style of grip, except the ones with thumbholes stocks.

If Romania is the ghetto, explain the PSL... that rifle if original from Romania can run alongside the Dragunov and other higher class marksman rifles.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Intersting article, my MAK-90 was imported by CJA.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top