Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/7/2006 2:17:35 PM EDT
hi there, thanks for the great site!
i found a mint norinco mak 90 at my local shop for $250 , i grabbed it and will have it in my little hands in 7 days, its in great shape --7.62 x 39 and has a nice black synthetic stock ( drag. style--kind of fiberforce) and 2 piece black front handguards, it has a 30 rd mag, i wanted to know if there is any way to get a muzzlebreak for it, and what stocks and what mags fit these little beasts,( not poly tec etc)  can i just fit any stock set to it? any mags? would yugo stocks or rom. stocks fit, im looking for the least expensive way to get a pistol grip and wood set on it or a nice under folder, companies and websites would be great!  also any pointers about these guns? whats diffrent then other aks etc?  thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#1]
any standard butt stock will fit, probably not a Yugo stock though (i think Yugos are a little different).  if it's angle cut a standard stock will have a visible gap at the bottom of the receiver, no big deal though it's only cosmetic.  Ironwood Designs makes a stock specifically for the angle cut guns, they also have pictures to help you identify a standard straight cut and angle cut receivers.
i like the poly stock sets from K-var, if you need something a little longer they also sell those.  their stock sets are some of the best around and the handguards have heat shields so they won't melt like cheap handguards.

as for muzzle brakes, you can probably have the muzzle threaded but the front sight base probably doesn't have the hole drilled for a plunger pin to keep the brake in place and aligned.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Below is a link for some info on MAK 90's.  

mywebpages.comcast.net/jfreeman246/page_2.htm
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Sweet deal you got on your MAK-90.  That is not much more than what I paid for mine back in 1996 when I picked up one for $400 including 1,200 rounds of Norinco Steel Core ammo and a dozen 30 round magazines (poly-tech and other chi com).  

I just got around to starting the de-ban process and should finish the project next week when my k-var buttstock and pistol grip arrive.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:31:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Ironwood stocks are great and made in the USA.  remember, if you add a p-grip, you will need 5 US parts with that stamped rifle, if ther is NO muzzle break.  If you do add a break, you will need 6 us parts.  The actual rule is no more than 10 "countable" imported parts.

On my mak-90, I used an Ironwoods stock set (3 parts) and a Tapco G2 FCG (3 parts).  I also threaded the barrel and replaced the front sight block to have the detent pin.  I then drilled a hole in the HG retainer to add a cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#5]
thanks everyone...but in regards to the last post before this, i dont understand about the US parts thing, grant it-- im a newbie, im only 24 and i have only 5 pistols and 4 rifles, but besides my sks, this is my only "hi power" rifle,  in regards to the "legal" parts,  what do i need and when? and who will ever know what parts are what? ( im not trying to weasal out of this or have an illegal firearm,im just curious and have no one to ask) and when would this apply? will someone stop me at the range and ask me? it may be a dumb question, and again, of course i would want all my firearms legit, im just curious.
thankshinking.gif
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:15:09 AM EDT
[#6]
for guns imported after '89 you need to add US made parts if you want the original military look of the rifle.  if you add enough US parts the rifle will be considered US made, allowing you to have the pistol grip, butt stock, threaded muzzle, etc.
for a stamped receiver gun it's 5 US parts, 6 if you put on a muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
thanks everyone...but in regards to the last post before this, i dont understand about the US parts thing, grant it-- im a newbie, im only 24 and i have only 5 pistols and 4 rifles, but besides my sks, this is my only "hi power" rifle,  in regards to the "legal" parts,  what do i need and when? and who will ever know what parts are what? ( im not trying to weasal out of this or have an illegal firearm,im just curious and have no one to ask) and when would this apply? will someone stop me at the range and ask me? it may be a dumb question, and again, of course i would want all my firearms legit, im just curious.
thankshinking.gif

If you add a pistol grip, you must ensure that you DO NOT violate TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 922 of the US Code which states that an imported weapon may have no more than 10 of the following parts:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions ** (Generally does not apply to an AK)
(4) Mounting blocks (trunions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods ** (Generally does not apply to an AK)
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings ** (Generally does not apply to an AK)
(11) Triggers
(12) Hammers
(13) Sears ** (Trigger and Sear are generally 1 piece in an AK)
(14) Disconnectors
(15) Butt stocks
(16) Pistol grips
(17) Forearms, hand guards
(18) Magazine bodies
(19) Magazine Followers
(20) Magazine Floor plates

Please note that the BATF could construe you as a manufacturer if you replace your dragunov stock with a pistol grip stock because your weapon is considered altered from its original imported configuration (i.e. no thumbhole stock).  Your best bet would be to replace the Fire Control Group with a Tapco or other US Made trigger setup, which gives you 3 compliance parts, then replace your stock set with a US Made stock set which would give you another 3 parts (the upper and lower handguards count as 1 part for an AK).  You could also add floor plates and followers to your imported magazines, but, technically once they are removed from the rifle, you violate 922r again.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
for guns imported after '89 you need to add US made parts if you want the original military look of the rifle.  if you add enough US parts the rifle will be considered US made, allowing you to have the pistol grip, butt stock, threaded muzzle, etc.

I was told by a local AK manufacturer that if you thread the muzzle, the brake has to be tack welded on an imported weapon.  He cited 922r and said that threaded barrels were a ban item after 1989.

I have often thought about threading my MAK-90 and adding the Bushmaster AK looking brake to it as another US compliance part, but I don't want to bastardize my rifle by tack welding it on there.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#9]
no, threaded muzzles aren't banned at all, during the AWB from '94 to'04 if you threaded the muzzle you had to weld the brake on to be legal.  they are fully legal now as long as you add 1 more US made part when you have a brake or flash hider on (you don't need the extra compliance part if you don't put anything on the muzzle).
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:36:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If I'm makin my own parts ,does that count as US made?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:40:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top