[Last Edit: krinkfreak]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#2]
what a goddamn shame
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#3]
That sucks,  Better than time at club fed I guess.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#4]
What a waste......damn
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#5]
So he can just cut the receiver and then put the parts back on a Tapco flat?
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 9:51:42 PM EDT
[#6]
It was like takin' old Yeller out to the corn crib, but it had to be done.  And yes It'll be a compliant AK again someday.  I posted the story so some other poor collector wouldn't have to go through this.  What bit me the hardest is that I bought it at a gun/pawn shop that went out of business years ago.  I could have done time for buying a rifle legally from a FFl dealer. Oh well, I did what I thought was best, and not ashamed or paranoid to tell the story. Thanks Krinkfreak for warning others.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:51:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Would it have been possible to melt the area with the hole and press it, to destroy the hole so it didnt exist?

Also... excuse me for being stupid... but can you please highlight which hole you are reffering to?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:40:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gunz4me] [#8]
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  I hate to see a MAK die of any death other than shooting it to death!

I do have a stupid question though.  Could the thrd pin hole have been welded over to close it, thus making it BATF compliant?  Chances are it probably would have required a ruling from the BATF, and my guess is that their answer would have been a big fat NO, but I was just wondering.

Edit:  Didn't the ATF seize a bunch of these from the Kengs because they were deemed too easy to make full auto (i.e. install the right parts, and whammo, no receiver modifications necessary)?  If I remember the news story correctly, the media stated that they WERE full auto and destined for California Gang Bangers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:20:26 PM EDT
[#9]
interesting
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Originally Posted By Jeepcreep:
No, once it has that hole, it is contraban. The ATF sent out a memo to have all of these recalled. They have the serial number range of the guns. In  a nutshell, Third pin MAK=aching anus syndrome (ie Club Fed)

I kind of figured that but I had to ask.  I am guessing to the BATF, their position is once a machine gun, always a machine gun!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I owned one of these before, not knowing what is was until it was too late. You guys better watch these rifles, they will get you into trouble.

Shawn
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I am lost...

Are all MAK90s like this or just some of them?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:34:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By RedRyder21:
I am lost...

Are all MAK90s like this or just some of them?

Just some.

Sly
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Originally Posted By shawn21:
I owned one of these before, not knowing what is was until it was too late. You guys better watch these rifles, they will get you into trouble.

Shawn

Did you get in any trouble because of one of these rifles? If so, what defense did you use? I couldn't imagine ATF trying to send somebody to prison for something he didn't know was contraband. If they kept it posted on their website or posted it in gun mags, then I MIGHT understand.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:02:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn, and an underfolder MAK 90 at that!  Share pics of the resurrected AK when you're done.  Or. piece out the parts, you could probably $100 for that 19mm front trunnion.
Link Posted: 5/5/2006 10:51:23 PM EDT
[#17]
After viewing the destruction of that reciever I need a drink.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2006 11:38:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Why is it contraband? Because some non-elected government agency decided to no longer issue a tax stamp that was originally created to keep minorities from owning certain weapons but somehow suddenly with only one instance of illegal use these become contraband?

I didn't elect the ATF and IRS, did you?

Link Posted: 5/6/2006 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By Creeper:
Why is it contraband? Because some non-elected government agency decided to no longer issue a tax stamp that was originally created to keep minorities from owning certain weapons but somehow suddenly with only one instance of illegal use these become contraband?

I didn't elect the ATF and IRS, did you?

Yes we did.

We elected the politicians who hire them and passed the laws giving them an office and power.
Link Posted: 5/22/2006 12:57:40 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By Creeper:

OH, of course!  It's the fault of the "White Devil" that laws are passed to keep certain people from getting their hands on illegal guns!  The fact that these "minorities" use these guns to commit crimes is our fault, right?  This is what I always ask those that are NOT of American origin...."If you don't like the laws in my country, then why are you srill here?".  Let's be real here.  People don't HAVE TO commit crimes, they CHOOSE TO.  And it's because of this that my state (Florida) passed some of the best gun laws in the country.  Now I can legally defend myself against these poor oppressed souls without getting into trouble (The "Stand Your Ground" law of 2005)!  God bless...........AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#21]
But isn't the serial # on the trunion? If you welded the hole closed how would they know it's the same receiver?

Just curious.

Link Posted: 7/14/2006 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Do you have the serial number range affected by this? Just curious what range that is.

Also, I was unsure which hole was the '3rd hole' you were referring to, can you clarify?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 8:25:36 PM EDT
[#23]
the auto sear hole.

hole 1 trigger/diconnector

hole 2 hammer

home 3 auto sear
Link Posted: 7/15/2006 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#24]

Originally Posted By BrianLake:
the auto sear hole.

hole 2 hammer

home 3 auto sear

It is the one by the D, correct?  I have always wondered if this is what those bank robbers in North Hollywood had versus a true self-converted AK (or illegally modified as it was referred to by the media).
Link Posted: 7/18/2006 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#25]

the auto sear hole.

hole 2 hammer
home 3 auto sear

Hmmm. Since the holes aren't numbered in the pic and I'm not sure where the internal parts line up, I still don't know what extra hole is being referred to.
Link Posted: 9/16/2006 4:12:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sign_Wolfman] [#26]
They are still out there I just saw one of these third hole rifles at the Little Rock fun show. A guy who said he was a licensed FFL dealer had it on his table but I guess he didn’t know what it was. I looked at it just to make sure. It had there third hole with a long rivet all the way trough the receiver. I didn’t tell him what it was. He was your typical gun dealer. He pretended to know all there was about Chicom guns and was telling me he really wanted to put an under folder stock on the rifle but he couldn’t find one for under $100. I just set the weapon down and moved away. I really hope nobody ends up getting stuck with this rifle. If you’re buying a MAK-90 always check. I figure I would rather be safe than sorry.

Sign_Wolfman
Link Posted: 9/19/2006 4:16:40 PM EDT
[#27]
It is kind of funny I just found one of these for sale in a shop today.  $300.00 with an underfolder.  I passed on it.

I had one of these back in 95, and it was recalled by BATF, and the shop replaced it.  I really hated to lose that one.
Link Posted: 9/21/2006 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Is there anyway someone can please copy and edit the photo to clearly indicate the "extra hole".

Also If anyone knows the serial number range that would be geat info too.

Was this an issue with this ONE importer or were there others??

Feel free to email me.
Link Posted: 9/21/2006 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#29]
A lot of people have asked so here it is. I tried to make it as clear as possible. I hope this answers any questions.

Sign_Wolfman
Link Posted: 9/22/2006 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Thank you WOLFMAN !!!!!!!!

I was sweating bullets because I just bought a MAK90 last weekend and the guy was a little toooo easy to come off the price he wanted. I can breathe a sigh of relief now, no 3rd hole... PHEW!

Link Posted: 10/13/2006 12:47:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Hrrm, I'm an ak47 newbie. I'm looking to buy a armco sporter mak90, from early 80s? Think it has the third hole? Guy is asking $500 for it. Wow this is scary
Link Posted: 11/29/2006 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#32]
krinkfreak, do you have an update on bringing the rifle back to life?
Link Posted: 12/25/2006 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#33]
I just checked my MAKs and I'm OK .  Phew.

If someone had one what would their options be? Is cutting it the only way to deal with it?

That's just a sad sight

Link Posted: 12/27/2006 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Strange that it's so strict overthere (USA as I'm in Holland). On the other hand, laws changed last year August overhere and no guns are allowed anymore to be imported that were changed from full auto to semi auto. However, everything that was already on a personal license or shop license are still available to be sold and bought. Just as long as the disconnector is shortened so the gun can't be switched to full auto. The full auto disconnector is considered a machine gun overhere so owning only the full auto disconnector can already get you in deep you know what ;)
Link Posted: 12/27/2006 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#35]

The full auto disconnector is considered a machine gun overhere so owning only the full auto disconnector can already get you in deep you know what ;)

That's funny.  In most places over here there's nothing illegal about owning them.  I guess the thought process is that since the receivers that would be required to make them functional are illegal, the full auto disconnectors don't really matter.
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 6:34:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I guess I'm one of the lucky one's......my underfolder was plugged and it was imported by the very same importer.....I almost pissed myself when I saw they where the same importer
Link Posted: 3/17/2007 11:51:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#37]
oh teh noes....i might have some bad news for my buddy....he's got a MAK-90 and it MIGHT have a 3rd hole.  I came over here to look at pics and found this as a fluke.

based on this pic

where would it be located in this pic

please tell me it's not the one right over the mag release at the bottom....
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 12:46:47 AM EDT
[#38]
yes it is the one right above the mag release on the bottom
Link Posted: 3/18/2007 9:32:42 AM EDT
[#39]
It's interesting how the selector mark for full auto is there too.  I wonder if all the 3rd pin receivers have this selector mark.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 12:28:59 AM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
oh teh noes....i might have some bad news for my buddy....he's got a MAK-90 and it MIGHT have a 3rd hole.  I came over here to look at pics and found this as a fluke.

based on this pic
i30.photobucket.com/albums/c316/SignWolfman/TrirdPin.jpg

where would it be located in this pic
www.inrangec2.com/kf/contra-1.jpg

please tell me it's not the one right over the mag release at the bottom....

Contraband sadly...
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:06:36 AM EDT
[#41]

Originally Posted By Bret:
It's interesting how the selector mark for full auto is there too.  I wonder if all the 3rd pin receivers have this selector mark.  

All the ones I remember seeing for sale at gunshows during that time period had the two receiver notches and were marked "L and D" as well.  They stood out like a sore thumb as being made from m.g. receivers.  Also notice the "notched" bolt carrier guide rail with the little spot-welded tab filling the slot!
Link Posted: 4/20/2007 2:16:50 AM EDT
[#42]
You did good; just torch cut the receiver and be done with it.

That receiver, as much fun as it would be to own it, is not worth 25 years in prison. Chop it, then remove the useable parts and discard the receiver and you are in the clear.
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#43]
The pics from the original post no longer appear and no link is supplies.  Can anyone supply a link to the pics showing the 3 pin contraband weapons?  I have an older MAK90 and would like to be sure I don't have something that could get me a new roomate.

Thanks very much.

--Sam
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 5:11:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Error on last post.  I see that on page 2 there is a pic of the three hole receiver.  

Mine is a forged receiver and the model and serial numbers are not laser engraved.  Rather they look like they were scribed with one of those electirc pencil markers.  So my receiver does not look like the stamped receiver in the pic, but there are 3 distinct holes/bumps.

I'm gettin nervous.
Link Posted: 6/3/2007 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Okay, final entry.  Checked other pics and compared mine to all the pics.  I think I am in the clear.  I have 3 holes but not in the locations identified as "wicked".  I do not have the offending 3rd hole in front.  No more worries about meeting Bubba.

Thanks for the alert and refernce to verify that I can sleep well at night.

--Sam
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#46]

Originally Posted By Bret:

Where is the selector mark for full auto?  I thought that was on the other side of the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/11/2007 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#47]
My comment was in reference to a picture that was in the first post of this thread.  You're correct.  The F/A selector mark is on the other side of the receiver.  It's between safe and S/A fire, but closer to S/A fire.
Link Posted: 9/6/2007 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By HoosierFIRE:
Hrrm, I'm an ak47 newbie. I'm looking to buy a armco sporter mak90, from early 80s? Think it has the third hole? Guy is asking $500 for it. Wow this is scary

Mak90's weren't imported until 1990 through 1994.  So I'm confused how the guy has a Mak90 from the early 80's for sale...
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 2:10:47 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By DoctorCheney223:
Did you get in any trouble because of one of these rifles? If so, what defense did you use? I couldn't imagine ATF trying to send somebody to prison for something he didn't know was contraband. If they kept it posted on their website or posted it in gun mags, then I MIGHT understand.

thanks,
Ron

You dont have to imagine that scenario, it has been a reel life nightmare for many people, and there is no defense. If you are guilty of breaking one of their many technical violations your pretty much screwed, better luck in your next life.
Link Posted: 3/5/2008 7:47:40 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By sniper69:

Originally Posted By HoosierFIRE:

Mak90's weren't imported until 1990 through 1994.  So I'm confused how the guy has a Mak90 from the early 80's for sale...

A lot of Mak90 (Even though they are Mak90 93/94) are just the AK47-56.  They were manufactured the same or even before a lot of the Pre-Ban AK47s (56s, 56s-1 56s-2).

Man, just look at the Receivers, Barrels & Wood.  It all looks like they came from the same period.  

Some weapons were denoted PreBan do to where they Where.  Some got redone!

I have severals Mak90s (93s, 94s).  I have several PreBan 56s 56s-1.  Except for Threaded Barrels & Receiver Description, they look like they were made the same day.

I have seen Mak90s that came with Threaded Barrel, Cleaning Rod/Hole in the Forearm.  All kinds of weapons were being converted, utilized for export by Norinco & Polytech.

Funtional
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top