Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page AK-47 » Chinese
Posted: 12/13/2003 7:33:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/13/2003 7:38:11 PM EDT by tangeant]
I have been looing for a early lined out Norinco Mak 90 with cleaning rod and capped threaded muzzle for a x39 project and finally found one today for $ 300 OTD which is a very good price IMOP for about any exc cond 90 so I jumped on it !
My question is this, it appears someone changed out the upper handguard and tube assy. The serial # on the gas tube and the rough greyish finish doesn't match the rest of rifle and it has no vent holes. Looking at other 90's at the show some had vent holes and some didn't. Will no vent holes affect function or does the lack of them just blow more powder residue ec back into the action ??

Question 2;

Since these were origanally in pre-ban condition before being Butthole stocked; a US made wood set for a stamped recvr will fit it with no probs right ?
Link Posted: 12/13/2003 8:11:30 PM EDT
1. No, it shouldn't make a difference, except a slight increase in recoil and more blowback into the action.

You may be able to find a original style gas tube, if you look (it shouldn't be very expensive).

2. Yes, unless your receiver was given an angle-cut.
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 6:28:58 AM EDT
1. The gas tube should be no problem. If you want to get a "vented" tube, they're available at shows, through the 'net, or in catalogs like Tapco.

2. Stocks shouldn't be a problem even if you have the angle cut. I just ordered a laminated stock set (hand guards, upper and lower, and butt stock) from ironwood designs. They have a set for the stamped, angle cut receiver. This was just ordered last week. If you want, I'll give you (and all) a progress report.

I am very happy to be working on my PolyTech MAK 90. I hope to make it a not so ugly, smooth functioning AK. I've already put the Red Star trigger set in and the difference is quite positive. Fired it at the range yesterday and it's soooooo smooth.

Groucho
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 11:05:02 AM EDT
Hey Groucho, post a pic of your Poly tech Mak90 with the new stockset. About 4 weeks ago, I picked up a Poly MAK90 and also would like to put an Ironwood stockset on it. What metal pieces did you have to get for the Ironwood set? Any problems fitting the new set?
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 12:10:21 PM EDT
Before:

After:

That is an Ironwood stock set (hard wood not recommended) that was refinished by JeepCreep (Thanks again dude).
Link Posted: 12/14/2003 2:03:06 PM EDT
bnz42,

Sorry, I don't have a dightal camera. However, the pic. above pretty much says it all. I'll probably finish mine in a cherry stain with no-gloss spar poly. I'm interested to see how it works with the angle cut. They do advertise that they have a stock for that cut.

Groucho
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:29:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 4:39:28 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies. Tan...
Page AK-47 » Chinese
Top Top