Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page AK-47 » Chinese
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2002 6:48:37 AM EDT
does anybody know if standard chinese furniture for the ak will fit on the NHM91 model, mine came with thumb hole,want pistol grip.
also mine is a preban, but it came with thumb hole wierd.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 7:59:54 AM EDT
It came with a thumbhole because it's a postban gun. In order for it to be a preban it needed to be imported into the United States prior to 1989 and I believe the NHM91 was imported in 1991 hence the "91" in the model number.

-John
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 8:09:32 AM EDT
It's a post-ban, that's what the "91" means. I've got one and kinda like the butthole stock, so I'm not sure about about changeing it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 8:47:38 AM EDT
thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 8:50:48 AM EDT
You can still convert it to a pistol grip stock by changing out the fire control parts, etc., to make the U.S parts count where it needs to be.

Kav-Var and Red Star Arms would be 2 places to start.

-John
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 10:34:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 2:26:01 PM EDT
I also have one of these. IIRC, the distributor from whom I ordered it made a big deal at that time in ads about the "Bishop" wooden stock. I don't know the significance of that, but it does seem a cut above the wood on most post-ban AKs that have come through my hands. It seems "thicker" than the usual, but it feels pretty good. I always considered it a decent rifle - that's why I still have it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 5:39:58 AM EDT

Re the Bishop stock; in the initial shipments of these post bans, the buttstocks, and in some cases forends as well, were made by the Bishop Stock company , an old line US custom stock maker, out of walnut, which is a hell of a lot harder and more durable than the packing crate wood the Chinese put on their guns.

Don't know whether they did this as a sales gimmick, or the Chinese factories couldn't (wouldn't?) tool up for the thumbhole style, or why?? The fact is, if you chop one of these stocks into a normal AK configuration, add a US made handgrip, there's two of your US made parts. If the forend of the rifle doesn't have the usual AK shape and is minus the steel back plate, that's a third US part right there. Reshape it to AK configuration, and you've got a piece superior to anything that came out of China
Page AK-47 » Chinese
Top Top