Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/15/2002 6:48:37 AM EDT
does anybody know if standard chinese furniture for the ak will fit on the NHM91 model, mine came with thumb hole,want pistol grip.
also mine is a preban, but it came with thumb hole wierd.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#1]
It came with a thumbhole because it's a postban gun. In order for it to be a preban it needed to be imported into the United States prior to 1989 and I believe the NHM91 was imported in 1991 hence the "91" in the model number.

-John
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 8:09:32 AM EDT
[#2]
It's a post-ban, that's what the "91" means. I've got one and kinda like the butthole stock, so I'm not sure about about changeing it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#3]
thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#4]
You can still convert it to a pistol grip stock by changing out the fire control parts, etc., to make the U.S parts count where it needs to be.

Kav-Var and Red Star Arms would be 2 places to start.

-John
Link Posted: 9/15/2002 10:34:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/14/2002 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I also have one of these.  IIRC, the distributor from whom I ordered it made a big deal at that time in ads about the "Bishop" wooden stock.  I don't know the significance of that, but it does seem a cut above the wood on most post-ban AKs that have come through my hands.  It seems "thicker" than the usual, but it feels pretty good.  I always considered it a decent rifle - that's why I still have it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2002 5:39:58 AM EDT
[#7]

Re the Bishop stock; in the initial shipments of these post bans, the buttstocks, and in some cases forends as well, were made by the Bishop Stock company , an old line US custom stock maker, out of walnut, which is a hell of a lot harder and more durable than the packing crate wood the Chinese put on their guns.

Don't know whether they did this as a sales gimmick, or the Chinese factories couldn't (wouldn't?) tool up for the thumbhole style, or why?? The fact is, if you chop one of these stocks into a normal AK configuration, add a US made handgrip,  there's two of your US made parts.  If the forend of the rifle doesn't have the usual AK shape and is minus the steel back plate, that's a third US part right there. Reshape it to AK configuration, and you've got a piece superior to anything that came out of China
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top