Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/17/2017 9:00:13 PM EDT
What do I have here and how should I go about fixing/restoring it? I'm no AK guy and have no clue.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It has some rust/pitting, but other than that, shoots like an AK, and accurate like an AK. Is it worth cleaning it up? I know the sentimental value is priceless, but if it is only worth getting rid of the rust spots...then some oil and elbow grease it is.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a pre-import-ban underfolder Norinco Type 56S-1.  Probably worth north of $800 in a gunbroker auction - give or take a hundred.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#2]
How should I go about cleaning it up? Also, is this one of those "holy shit! It has a 3rd pin! Cut it up!!!" thingies?
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How should I go about cleaning it up? Also, is this one of those "holy shit! It has a 3rd pin! Cut it up!!!" thingies?
View Quote
No 3rd axis pin I can see on your one clear shot of the whole length of the right side of the receiver. If it were there, it would be low and just in front of the trigger guard reinforcement area.

Emery cloth/paper or steel wool and oil to buff out the rust. Touch up bare areas with cold blue after cleaning with alcohol or acetone.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks brother. I'll read up more on cleaning up and watch a couple of YouTube vids on it. I don't want to ruin one of my wife's memories of her dad. He's had it since the late 80's I guess.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#5]
0000 steel wool with oil. Will take off surface rust and big affect most finishes. Start with a light touch. 
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's a pre-import-ban underfolder Norinco Type 56S-1.  Probably worth north of $800 in a gunbroker auction - give or take a hundred.
View Quote
Correct on model,way off on pricing

Ask in the sticky on the AK discussions for price and i will tell you what its worth.Dont want to get this thread locked

Hint- its close to double what this guy quoted you even with the rust.

Dont mess with it,it will bring more money if left alone.A little 0000 steel wool will fix it up.Dont refinish the bluing or the wood
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:00:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ask in the sticky on the AK discussions for price and i will tell you what its worth.Dont want to get this thread locked

Dont mess with it,it will bring more money if left alone.A little 0000 steel wool will fix it up.Dont refinish the bluing or the wood
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what he said. I wouldn't try refinishing anything about it.

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 1:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

AIRBORNE!!!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Echoing the same.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#10]
yeah hang on to that one. NIB ones go for close to $2K on Gunbroker these days. Yours looks like a good shooter grade. I'd keep it but then again I love the Chicom's
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:02:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep the thing wet with oil and it won't rust. I degreased mine thoroughly and then really wet it down with some extra motor oil I had and then periodically rubbed it in until the gun would take in no more oil. Whenever I'm gonna put it away and not finger fuck it for. While, wipe it down with oil.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 9:15:30 PM EDT
[#12]
The last one of I saw in roughly that condition sold for $1600 on Gunbroker with NIB ones going for $2000~2200.00.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#13]
While you have the 0000 steel wool out, you might dip it in some paste wax for the furniture, then buff it off with an old t-shirt
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:47:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I've used steel wool and Break Free before with good results.  Also, Hoppes works pretty good with it.  Nice rifle you've got there, as they just don't import those anymore!  Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.big45.com/ I use these better than steel wool and will remove rust without scratching
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top