Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/22/2016 11:04:20 AM EDT
Maybe 15 years ago my father did the old, hey look at what I got at the gun show, and showed me this AK.  At the time I knew very little about AK's and congratulated him as I FF'd the rifle before putting it back in its case.  Fast forward and I have owned Romanian, Polytech, and recently a Zastava.  I remembered this rifle and I don't ever recall seeing one before or since.  So, a few weeks ago I asked Dad to pull it out next time he was in the safe.  Last night he gave this to me along with a few other gems and I thought you all might enjoy some photo's.  I had never heard of this brand before and had to Google it.  Apparently Clayco is considered the first importer of Chinese AK's.  The fit and finish reminds me a lot of my Polytech without the spiker.  The furniture is pretty cool and seems solid while reminding me of Bakelite.  I haven't done a thorough breakdown and inspection as I just brought it home last night and snapped these photo's before leaving to work, but it seems very clean aside from a few small marks.  Serials match on the bolt, spring, and receiver.  There is no box or matching bayonet and the S# is 3 digits.  If you have any info on these please share as I still know very little.  This is a gun that I will hang onto and I will put some rounds through her real soon.  Thanks

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#1]
That.................is frigg'n awesome! So jealous.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#2]
OP Request
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#3]
OP Request again. :D
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 3:44:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice OP! I have always wanted a Clayco, you should be able to find the correct green black bayonet fairly easy but the correct warning dust cover is very hard to find, I had a buddy looking for one a while back with no luck.  Enjoy your early AKM!
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I would say that is definitely the first of the USA imports.  I remember in the early 80's reading about the AK that was about to hit our shores, and it was only available with the black plastic furniture.  Back then the gun writers called it "North China AKS", which we now know as Norinco.  

Awesome find.  That is the true US collector market holy grail.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 4:50:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats on your new rifle!  You have a rare specimen there.   I recently became a new owner of a Clayco as well by luck since I wasn't out looking for one and have no prior knowledge of Clayco AK47.  It was my friend who told me to jump on this Clayco he saw online.  The action and trigger feel on these are amazing and by far the best factory AK I'd tried.   I couldn't bring myself to shoot it.  Here is what I came across from a little search.

Article from 1984 Soldier of Fortune magazine on the Clayco

The AKS (it was an AKM-type, and called the AKS by Clayco)-
It was available with a standard fixed stock (black fiber-reinforced phenolic), or as an underfolder. I thought it was kind of interesting that the fixed stock, and folding stock, models were made at different arsenals and finished slightly different. The fixed stock guns were made at Ling Hua Arsenal and had polished bolts and bolt carriers. The folders were made at Min Shan Arsenal and had gray phosphated bolts and carriers.
They came with one magazine- blocked to five-round capacity.
The AKSs did not come with bayonets either.
However, you could get an "accessory kit" that had two 30-rd magazines, and a bayonet with scabbard. The bayonet did not have the wire-cutting feature.
Price on the AKS? The standard stock: $499.95. The folder got a premium: $574.95.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Beautiful gun OP.  They were actually much cheaper than the SOF prices quoted above.  I can remember the $350 Clayco's.  Of course at that time a HK94 was $450.  But then I guess it's all relative because I was making only making $18k per year.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top