Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2017 10:49:12 AM EDT
Picked up a new project at the last local gun show. This SA85M was sitting neglected and I picked it up for $500 with three surplus mags. I've never had a Hungarian rifle and the quality seemed like a step up from the Romanian offerings.  The #'s match on Bolt, BCG, trunion, and top cover. The gas tube looks to be original but, is not matching(I know the lever is unlocked).  

I was surprised to see that it appears to have an AMD65 HG retainer with the nubs inside for aligning the sheet metal HG. There is a strange spacer bushing in the FCG group inside the trigger to one side of the disco. Is this how the Huns modified the FCG for semi? Some previous owner didn't clean after shooting corrosive and I found some light pitting is on the piston .

I am on the fence with how far I want to go with modifications. I ordered up a US made Beech stock,dog bone grip, a takeoff piston, etc. from Clearview Inv. that was on sale. The stocks have the swivel pocket on the side and are not 100% correct but, I'm hoping the quality is workable for the $30. I have a Hungarian leather sling and G2 in the parts bin to round out most of the assembly.  

Can anyone point me in the right direction for finishing the stock set? I have never worked with beech.  I may look to swap the FSB, GB, and HG retainer in the future. If I go down that road, are EG parts the best substitutes?

Link Posted: 1/10/2017 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#1]
The gas tube is the one originally refinished and used for your rifle. The gas tubes typically are not number-matching and neither is the barrel. The lower HG retainer is correct - its the one they used for everything after they started producing the AKM63 Note the lower hand guard is relieved for the pins. The AMD65 also used the AKM63 vented steel forearm and front pistol grip. I wouldn't replace the gas piston - sounds like the light pitting is not bad enough to put in a non-original part, and its a lot of trouble to make that swap and do it right.

Just curious, why would you even think about tearing the front end apart to change out the retainer which is correct for the gun and putting on a bayonet lug? If you leave it alone and shoot it, you'll find you have an excellent, straight factory-built AK that was imported with all its original parts. Once you start monkeying with it, you'll have to comply with 922r and also change out the trigger/hammer/disconnector for a Tapco set. Believe me, I went down that road and regretted it. You could already flip the gun and get another one with the features you want, so maybe that would be better than ruining it.

Hungarian wood doesn't have a 'finish' - it is oiled. I use Ballistol to maintain and clean it which is all you have to do. If you do remove any of the original wood, hang on to it in case you change your mind in the future. It has gotten expensive, even that thumbhole stock.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Saxman1-

Thank you for your reply. I enjoy and shoot my Akm's. I have enjoyed hunting down the parts to bring them back as close as possible to military trim. I don't plan on flipping the rifles for a profit and suspect that when assembled with the proper components and furniture, that their value would be on par with an original "Ban-era" rifle.

My thought was going to an AK63 Hg retained to keep the index pins from mauling other HG's if I swap the furniture around.

Blitz
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Its easy to relieve any wood or plastic hand guard for the pins. My point is that a factory-built rifle has become highly sought-after these days. All you have to do is remove and replace the gas block and front sight and its not original anymore. What this means is its a nice straight AK now with the original factory semi-auto receiver and military barrel. The AKs you can buy now have various USA-made parts including receivers and barrels, and they usually are not straight when they get through with them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Its his rifle bought with his money.
If he wants to make it as close as possible to original military configuration using original FEG militsary parts thats his choice.
That rifle was fuddlemucked to get imported in the first place.
The reason prices spiked on this model is couse folks want to De-ban them and have as close as possible military configuration.

Youd have a fit if you looked in my safe.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#5]
No, I wouldn't. Its not that I care, its about education. Many gun owners, including me, have ruined the value of guns for no good reason. If someone does it knowing what they're doing, that's their business.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:59:44 PM EDT
[#6]
ruin? improve? make correct?
more than one way to see the same thing.
again, these post 89 firearms were bastardized to get imported.
that model would not exist in that configuration if not for US import regs.
If the work done is of high quality and using correct military parts for that model, in my eyes, that is making it "correct".
Im not trying to educate you, just saying your opinion is not the same as everyone elses, and is not "correct" for everyone, neither is mine, obviously.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:48:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe that you can upgrade it with the proper Hungarian parts. You would give it the pre ban look but the value will stay at a unconverted post ban. I think right now is a good time to snag parts for a de-ban. There are alot of Hungarian parts available.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:12:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I just scored one of these myself.  Supposedly 20 rounds fired, it came with the original box, cleaning rod, and one greasy cosmo loaded magazine.

Plenty of barrel left to thread, Hungarian Gas block and front sight swap coming soon.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:43:32 PM EDT
[#9]
dont do it minigun!
your gonna ruin the collector value!
just wanted to Educate you bout that
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:17:40 PM EDT
[#10]
'just saying your opinion is not the same as everyone elses'

No shit.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 9:28:03 PM EDT
[#11]
back around ten years ago, when new hungarian parts kits were available  
I rebarreled my sa85m and it is the finest stamped ak i have seen.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 2:03:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Debanned my SA85m (with short gas tube) using ironwood stock set and tapco FCG. No regrets at all. I can give you step by step instructions on making the furniture match the original oil rubbed finish.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Debanned my SA85m (with short gas tube) using ironwood stock set and tapco FCG. No regrets at all. I can give you step by step instructions on making the furniture match the original oil rubbed finish.
View Quote
Thx, appreciate your offer. I went ahead and had Matt Yeamans swap out the FSB,GB, and HG retainer. I added a decent stock referred to in the OP and followed instructions from the guys at Ironwood and it turned out pretty well. I need to get in gear and post an after pic.
Page AK-47 » Hungarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top