Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/16/2002 7:25:24 AM EDT
I have just finnisd rebuilding my SA-93 to preban specks.  One thing bothers me though.  The receiver only has one tang connecting it to the stock.  I have the U.S. made Bugarian stock for this rifle, but it has slots to a tang top and bottom.  

The stock seems secure, but I don't want Murfy rearing his ugly head.  Is this connection strong enough. Obvisously I'm not going to go around bashing people heads with it, but for general use will it be OK?

Link Posted: 10/10/2002 2:48:46 PM EDT
[#1]
With all do respect, I performed the same conversion with the polymer stock set with only one tang.  There is NO way in HELL it needs a second tang.  The fit between the stock and the receiver is so tight that a tang isn't hardly needed at all.  One is more than sufficient.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
After one weekends worth of plate shooting the stock was becomeing noticeably looser. (300 rounds) The rifle was treated well, but the stock still came off (sheared the single screw) while I was placing the rifle in the safe!
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#3]
What was your stock like when you installed it?  Mine had to be forced into the slot in the back of the receiver.  So far no problems with mine working lose or shearing a screw.  Guess time will tell.  Hope I don't need to install a new tang down the road, because I am mechanically inept.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 5:48:57 AM EDT
[#4]
The stock went in fine with a few firm taps, a little dremmel work was also needed, but nothing much.
When I shot it I noticed the stock starting to "rock" against my shoulder the more I shot.  I am Mauser guy so I am used the the feeling of a solid feel against my shoulder. It became more noticeable as the day went on.

I think in the end the "rocking" sheard the head off the screw.  I know I didn't over torque it when I put it in, (60 inch pounds)

The second tang has not really been a fun project.  I have enjoyed all other Ak projects, but this one has been a pain.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 7:08:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Have you installed a recoil buffer?  I have one on mine which really cuts back the stress on the receiver.  Could be what is making the difference.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 8:32:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I thought about it, but it seems to be the impression of some of the big wigs around here that they do not make that much of a difference.  I don't know, it could have saved me the trouble I am having.  Anyway, I am almost done drilling and everything else on the second tang so at this point it is mute I guess.

I hope you have better luck than I did.  Hell, for all I know, I could have just had a bad screw.?
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top