BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2016 8:38:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FloridaShooter22]
Hello,

I have a WASR AK47. I was out shooting it today, and I noticed that after it was warmed up when I closed the bolt (with or without bullets) steam would come out of the gas tube crimp as pictured. That part of the gun is also slightly discolored. I'm pretty new to AK's and was wondering if this is normal or not? Everything was functioning fine so I'm inclined to think this is not a big deal, but It almost seemed like a leak of some sort? I own it now so if this is a problem how hard is it to fix?

~Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqb9ebgl5bvpenq/IMG_0496.JPG?dl=0
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
That's not a crimp, but instead where the gas tube (not really a gas tube, more of a piston guide) meets the gas block. Field strip the rifle and you'll see how it interfaces. Those holes in the gas block are vents, so if gas/smoke/steam/crud is coming out of it then it's doing it's job.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 12:01:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Totally normal, shoot it & have fun.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The AK is designed so the gas pulse knocks the piston to the rear with just the quick jolt it gets before the piston head clears the vents you referenced, dropping gas pressure. Originally the gas tube had the vents but they later put them on the gas block and stopped drilling the gas tubes.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 11:23:28 PM EDT
[#5]
And If it wasn't for guiding the piston back into the gas block, the AK doesn't even need it to function....you can go without it altogether and the rifle still runs perfectly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:10:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1saxman] [#6]
Without the gas tube? Yeah, it would fire and eject but the piston probably would miss the center of the gas port on the way back, stop on the edge of the gas block and that would be it. I like the idea of dropping 'gas tube' and using 'gas piston guide tube'.
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top