Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2016 9:32:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pete7072]
Another " My WASR is inaccurate" thread. I bought a WASR 10/63 a while ago, and never had time to go shooting. So I finally got out and brought my rifle to the range yesterday to do some shooting. Started out with the paper out at about 20 yards. It shot a 6 inch group, about 5 inches high, and 4 inches to the right. Not a big deal, lowered the front sight a tad and it brought down the group. Still hitting to the right though. I figured the front sight is slightly canted, so I'll have to try to move it over. The big problem was when I moved the paper out to 40 yards. The rifle was all over the place, shooting high, with rounds all over, no grouping at all. I figured it was the way my stance was or maybe that I was moving with the recoil, so I got a shooting stand and a chair and tried it again. Once again the rifle shot all over the place, to the point that I shot off the paper holding clip, and the range master told me to put it away until it gets sighted. This was with two different types of ammo. PPU 123 grain FMJ, and Red Army 123 grain Brass cased FMJ. This sound about right for 40 yard shots ?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Stupid question: did you have the rear sight on the 100m setting or the battle sight setting?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#2]
At first I thought this was going to be a thread about boots.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Notyouratty:
Stupid question: did you have the rear sight on the 100m setting or the battle sight setting?
View Quote

Not a stupid question, point out the obvious first. No the rear sight was flat.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 8:28:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Him:
At first I thought this was going to be a thread about boots.
View Quote

My wife likes those things though
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 8:18:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: engineer2001] [#5]
Can you push your sight drum back and forth with the power of the thumbs?

http://www.akoperatorsunionlocal4774.com/2016/07/inter-ordnance-ak47-3-rds-later/  <Warning, Rob uses some swear words in that video - don't listen in church this morning or in front of kids>

Seriously, though, make sure everything is tight like drum, rear sight, post, etc..  Also make sure nothing is in the way causing bullet strikes like an improperly installed or sized muzzle brake.  If the bullets are going unobstructed down the barrel and out toward the target, that barrel is not over-sized and provides rifling to spin the bullet, and your sights are fixed and not moving around, I don't see how you could get such bad accuracy.  6-inch group at 20 yards is horrendous.  Something is certainly wrong.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:09:24 AM EDT
[#6]
If your front sight barrel slips back and forth like the video, you will need to fix that first before attempting to sight in your AK. A easy fix to this problem is to remove the sight post & sight barrel.
Then make a bunch of center punch marks around the barrel & then press it back in.
After checking put your AK for loose parts. You will need a target like this.
https://www.amazon.com/AK-Rifle-Meter-Zero-Target/dp/B007BX7THQ
With this target placed out at 25 METERS you can fire 3 rounds at center bull.
The corner of the target will tell you what to move, direction & how much to move it.
It shouldn't take more than 9 rounds to get you zeroed out to 100yds, as long as your first 3 are on paper.
You will also need a sight adjustment tools. I use this one but there are others.(I have don't more adjustments with this tool than most gun shops & have never had a failure)
http://stores.polytechparts.com/heavy-duty-sight-installation-kit/
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Front sight does not move like shown in the video. I just ordered the front sight adjustment tool. Not sure when I will be able to get back to the range to try it out. Will let you guys know.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 8:11:13 PM EDT
[#8]
How tight is the gas tube?  Is it difficult to remove or reinstall?

My old WASR with somewhere around 7k rounds will shoot groups of around 4-6" at 100yd with a 4x scope and Wolf FMJ.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 3:04:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Rear sight on '1'. Check front sight drum as detailed above. At 25 yds, aim at the bulls eye but adjust the point of impact for 1" low. Now at 50 yds, you should be pretty much on the center. At 100 yds you may be a few inches high or low or off to the left or right, so here is where you make your final adjustments. Now the other positions of the rear sight are more or less indexed, but leave it on '1' unless you are shooting at more than 150 yds.

In order to achieve these results, you have to sight in from a rested position. You can't zero a rifle from your elbows or standing. Those positions are for general shooting AFTER sighting in. The reason is, most shooters can't shoot a small enough group off hand to be meaningful in adjusting the sights.

Generally, this is what's wrong with your shooting, assuming nothing is wrong with the rifle - you have to shoot from a rested position, take your time, load only three rounds at a time and take 30 seconds to shoot them. You have to have good trigger technique and be able to concentrate for 15 seconds at a time to get the gun zeroed. Once you do that, you can blast away all you want with the confidence that when you miss, its you, not the equipment.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Try this, Solved all my iron site issues  www.remoteaccess17.com
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top