Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/14/2016 9:24:46 PM EDT
So I've probably only put 200rds thru my ak. The other day I couldn't cycle the bolt back and after disassembly I found the left side bolt guide rail loose and shifting preventing the bolt the cycle. Should I just have it spot welded again? By no means do I have a lot of experience with ak's. Who should I send it to, to be looked over and fixed? Thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know how NJ law factors in,  but as long as you get the rail properly aligned,  any local welding shop with a spot welder should be able to weld the rail back up.

What model is the AK?

If it is some no name receiver,  it may be worth it to send to a reputable AK Smith who can also check and correct ejector heat treatment if it appears out of spec.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a parts kit gun I'm not even sure of its origin, I was thinking the same thing tho. I have a spot welder in my garage I use for doing seams on my car, maybe I'll just give it a whirl lol
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:22:36 PM EDT
[#3]
If you have a spot welder you can make a low cost lower tong that fits inside the assembled receiver out of a 8 1/2 " piece of ridged copper tubing, 8 1/2" of 00 copper cable & a MIG welder tip like this.
Home made lower tong/old lower tong
end of lower tong
00 copper cable
It is easy to make just push the 00 copper cable inside the copper tube & crush 2" of the end of the tube closed like pictured.
Drill & tap the end of the crushed tube to fit the MIG tip in the tong. If the back end is too soft to mount securely you can use a torch to melt solder around the cable inside the tube.  Mount it in your spot welder, adjust the tongs to touch & file the tips flat. Then you should be ready to weld your rails.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#4]
This is a common problem. The Ruskies had major  issues when they went to stamped receivers from the forged machined receivers. Spot welding 2 pieces of heat treated sheet metal together can have issues. Use small tips and Hold the juice an extra couple of seconds. The extra couple seconds  helps to anneal the weld area a little. I have had real gook luck with that. Craig
Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top