Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/26/2010 3:58:03 PM EDT
I was at the range today, inserted a loaded magazine into my converted saiga with tapco g2, pulled back the bolt carrier and when I released it the gun fired itself. I had only run about 60 rounds through it, so it wasn't extremely dirty, though I have never fully disassembled and cleaned the bolt. What could cause this?

Thanks friends
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 4:03:19 PM EDT
[#1]
An AK could cause that.

No firing pin spring and soft primer ammo.  What ammo was it?

Also a gunked up firing pin.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#2]
It was wolf ammo. I probably need to give the bolt a thorough cleaning.
Link Posted: 7/26/2010 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Possibly a slam fire caused by a broken firing pin, fouling in the firing pin channel, exceptionally sensitive (or high) primer or a faulty FCG that let the hammer slip when the bolt went forward.

As a first step I'd strip the bolt to rule out #1 and #2. Instructions here: http://www.box.net/shared/wfnjbu204s

You really can't reasonably check for a high or sensitive primer. If you can't find another cause I'd be careful with the whole lot of ammo.

Test out the FCG with a empty rifle pointed in a safe direction. See if you can ever get the hammer to slip by dropping the bolt: try slamming the muzzle and butt into the floor, and try it after you've pulled the trigger partways back.

The manual has other tests for the FCG too.

BSW
Link Posted: 7/29/2010 8:42:31 PM EDT
[#4]
You can check for a high primer as you load the magazine.  Just run your finger over the primer.  It should be flush or slightly below flush.

Wolf ammo is world class, as good as any in the world.  I would suspect that  your firing pin is not free  floating in the bolt.

Ejecting a live round from any AKM will show a slight firing pin indent.

The 7.62X39 is a bitch to reload with sensitive American primers. The floating firing pin hits them pretty hard during chambering.

Be careful.
Link Posted: 7/30/2010 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I am having the same problem. But my problem consists of I pull the trigger and it fires twice. It does not do this all the time.
It does it every now and then. I'm was told it may be me by holding the trigger to lightly and not following thru. I'm using pro mag poly mags and Banacul ammo. And the firing pin is free floating.

Link Posted: 8/6/2010 4:32:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you hand cycle the FCG properly?

- thumb hammer back
- restrain hammer, pull and hold trigger, ease hammer forward
- continue holding trigger
- thumb hammer back, feel disconnector hook latch, release hammer
- release trigger, feel trigger hook latch
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I am having the same problem. But my problem consists of I pull the trigger and it fires twice. It does not do this all the time.
It does it every now and then. I'm was told it may be me by holding the trigger to lightly and not following thru. I'm using pro mag poly mags and Banacul ammo. And the firing pin is free floating.

This is also called bump fire, when you hold too lightly & let the recoil reset the trigger.

Page AK-47 » Troubleshooting
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top