Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/10/2006 4:14:55 PM EDT
Would like to get a Kobra and just wanted some input from users here
Tell me how you like it pros and cons

Does the Kobra perform well at ranges around 100yds ?  I realize it's probably more for CQB

I'm looking to get one for my Vepr K ( 7.62x39 ) and possibly attach a plate to my SSR-85B
but I'd also like to consider mounting one on an AR

Thanks

Another Question fellas
Do you think that mounting a Kobra on an AR and co-witnessing it ( on an A2 ) forward on the handguards would work well ?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Fantastic optics and far better for the price than any U.S. made equivelant.  Out to 100 yards it is excellent, the dot, being only about 1.8 MOA covers only about 2 inches of the target at that distance.  However for faster shooting the Chevron under the dot comes in handy to get on target quick.  

Adjusting the sight takes a bit of futzing, the goal however is to make sure, once the rifle is zeroed, to take the dials off and reset them so that when in the zeroed position, the dials read 0.  This way, quick range adjustments can be made.

ZERO TO 50 YARDS/METERS WITH THIS SIGHT!!!!!  Why?  because you will have a near zero at 50 meters, and a far zero at 150 meters because of the hight of the sight and the trajectory of the round.  When this procedure is followed, all one has to do to be dead on at 100 is to turn the elevation dial clockwise until it reads 1.  The point of aim now is almost exactly where the round will impact at 100 meters.  To adjust for 200 meters turn the elevation dial two clicks COUNTERclockwise from 0 until it reads 2.  For 300, 3 clicks counterclockwise from 0 until it reads 3.  The same for 400.  Realisticly though i would not expect accuracy from this sight out beyond 200 yards.  But then again thats not what its designed for.

I personally have the EKP-1S-03M,  the AA model with the sunshade.  Very robust.  The reticle is easily seen even in the brightest of sunlight.  You may doubt its ability to retain zero.  You woluld be wrong.  Every time i have removed it from the rifle it has returned perfectly to zero.  

I dont think there are any particular downfalls to the sight.  However there is one thing you may not be used to.  Because of the hight of the optic, you must use a chin weld rather than a cheek weld.  The russians belive this is a better position for your head to be in combat because your head is upright, your field of view better, and you are more alert and aware of your surroundings.

Kobra Zeroing Trajectory table:
www.headsbunker.com/html/article_trajectory.html
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:15:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I used the coin cell type a couple of years ago on a milled bulgarian in 7.62.  I sold it and now have the AA battery type.  I didn't sell the first one because I disliked it, just sold it.  I haven't shot with the new one yet but here's my take.

It adds some weight but it's centered well and doesn't throw off the balance.  Your head will be up a little more, nothing a good chin weld can't handle.  In bright sunlight on certain color targets-think clays-the red dot can be hard to see.  Those are the only negatives I can think of.  

Two eyes shooting with a red dot rules.  The russian optic is very robust and clear.  Much brightness adjustment, 4 good reticles.  Value is way up, a red dot with all this that will re-zero when taken off and remounted??  If you don't mind waiting and shopping around they pop up on our equipment exchange, that's how I found my second one.  If you want it NIB only, now and don't mind paying a few bucks, visit Tantal.  I purchased my first one there, tons of information too.    
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Tantal is the man, i got mine from him.  Plus he has spare parts too should you ever need them.  And your optic will carry a warranty from him.  Any malfunction under warranty and he will replace it or repair it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks fellas !
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:22:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I have owned one for nearly 5 years Kobra (w 3v Wafer Battery) It has been subjected to severely cold weather, Hot weather ,Humidity, and dropped hard several times (Not on Purpose) and removed from my AK74 Numerous times .......still holds zero. Once I figured out the Cyrillic lettering on the dials and read the instructions five times I finally got the thing dialed in nice. Take that fellas advice :you must carefully remove the dials and  set to "0" them after zeroing them. Fantastic Colim sight. Best I have ever had.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:48:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Agreed, i have tried countless sights.  This one takes the cake.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I origionally wanted to put an EOtech on my SAM 7.  EOtech 300.00  AK mount 85.00 or so.
Kobra  on a mount 180.00. You can't beat  it.  Got mine  from Tantal.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:29:46 PM EDT
[#8]
You guys dealing with tantal have you got another way to catch him, been trying e-mail for several days with no luck
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Ive only ben able to contact him thru E-Mail.  Maybe hes got something goin on?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the replies fellas I posted a new question in my original post
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:21:17 PM EDT
[#11]
got 3 kobras and love em on my AK's.   dot/chevron is favorite in 3 gun matches

on my Bushmaster mod. carbine,  weaver kobra was too high, YHM flip ups, couldn't be used

EOtech 551 is way better set up on AR.    1 MOA dot is nice at 200 yds.

but the Kobra is PERFECT for capabilities of AK.

I also really like the JPoint red dots, weight counts

edited to add, have 2 ARs w/rails from rear sight to front and prefer dot to the rear;   for speed and accuracy and balance.   Kobra a bit heavier, esp out front
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top