Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 4/5/2006 7:02:51 AM EDT
I am looking to replace my gas piston with a US part and my bolt carrier holes are welded over.

I can see indents where there should be holes.

The piston has wiggle, so I am pretty sure they didn't weld the piston.

Is this normal or could it already be a US part.

The rifle is a MAADI, so I would assume its not.

Finally, does someone have a picture of what the normal holes look like, so I dont ruin my carrier uncovering the pins??

Thanks!
TC
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:05:54 AM EDT
It's not welded. The ends are peined over into countersunk holes.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:50:13 AM EDT
I believe KVAR sells a combo with a very nice American made gas pistin and a very nice Bulgarian bolt carrier. I got mine for about $50 to replace the piece of garbage that came in my WASR and I am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 1:26:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GenghisKhan:
I believe KVAR sells a combo with a very nice American made gas pistin and a very nice Bulgarian bolt carrier. I got mine for about $50 to replace the piece of garbage that came in my WASR and I am very happy with it.

i have that in my sar-1, its very nice quality and i love the bead blasted silver look
only problem was you need a drill press to put it together
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:30:36 PM EDT
Here are pictures of both sides.

The only thing I can see is a circle where I would expect, but no obviously peined pins.

rjo.homeip.net/ak/piston/leftfinal.jpg

rjo.homeip.net/ak/piston/rightfinal.jpg

What do you all think?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:22:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/5/2006 4:24:06 PM EDT by Epsilon]
Some of the AKs have seen have had their pistons "press welded" in place. Which leaves no holes...only a small dimple.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:31:36 PM EDT
I would take a small bit and drill down into the center of the circle. Dollars to doughnuts it's a well-peened pin blended well into the carrier.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:27:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DDiggler:
I would take a small bit and drill down into the center of the circle. Dollars to doughnuts it's a well-peened pin blended well into the carrier.

+1

Mine was almost impossible to see. I drilled it out and then knocked out the rest.
Top Top