BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/30/2006 9:39:19 AM EDT
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/D?c109:1:./temp/~c109rkAi7n::

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:51:32 AM EDT
[#1]
That would reduce rifle prices by a lot.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Linky no...what's the bill #?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Isnt this only for civilian contractors and SOTs?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#4]
do you have any more info on this ....the link does not show anything
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Just a sec:

Relevant portion:

SEC. 10. BARREL AND RECEIVER IMPORTATION.

(a) In General- Section 925(e) of title 18, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in paragraph (1), by striking `, and' and inserting a period;

(2) by adding at the end the following:

`(3) All frames or receivers of rifles, or barrels for firearms other than handguns, if the importation is for repair or replacement purposes.'.

(b) Governmental Imports- Section 925(a)(1) of such title is amended by inserting `, barrel,' after `or importation of any firearm'.

(c) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act.

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:22:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Just a sec:

Relevant portion:

SEC. 10. BARREL AND RECEIVER IMPORTATION.

(a) In General- Section 925(e) of title 18, United States Code, is amended--

(1) in paragraph (1), by striking `, and' and inserting a period;

(2) by adding at the end the following:

`(3) All frames or receivers of rifles, or barrels for firearms other than handguns, if the importation is for repair or replacement purposes.'.

(b) Governmental Imports- Section 925(a)(1) of such title is amended by inserting `, barrel,' after `or importation of any firearm'.

(c) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act.

So how is this going to help us exactly ?

Maybe I am just reading it wrong  

ETA: Link no good, what is the bill # Por Favor ?
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:31:11 PM EDT
[#7]
do ya guys think it will pass?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:16:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Does "repair or replacement purposes" mean you can't build a new kit on one of these, only replace one you already own?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:52:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Does "repair or replacement purposes" mean you can't build a new kit on one of these, only replace one you already own?

Arent the parts kits coming in now/that have been here "for repair or replacement purposes only?"
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#10]
theres' an article in the May small arms review that says new short barrel rifles form 1s can't be made with imported foreign receivers that had the clause "for relacement or repair only", I take this to mean you can't use one for building a new title I rifle also
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:20:41 AM EDT
[#11]
What we want passed is HR1703.  This would allow the importation of the full guns again.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:23:18 AM EDT
[#12]
If you think of it, a cut reciever gun is 'repaired' by the installation of a new reciever...

If it gets to a fight, you end up with:

Re-build of a cut-reciever parts kit -> Yes

Build of a gun from separate new parts using reciver -> No
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you think of it, a cut reciever gun is 'repaired' by the installation of a new reciever...

No, its creation of a new weapon. You are not "repairing" a machine gun..

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:12:39 PM EDT
[#14]
HR 5005
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
theres' an article in the May small arms review that says new short barrel rifles form 1s can't be made with imported foreign receivers that had the clause "for relacement or repair only", I take this to mean you can't use one for building a new title I rifle also

The article is bullshit, I have a letter from ATF saying I can build an SBR SIG 551/552 with a R/R receiver.

edit - make that "had", I used to have one but I can't find it. There is another letter on the internet saying it's ok to make an AUG with a RR receiver.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:36:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, let me ask a question regarding that, then.

Let's say that I've got a bunch of (imported) Imbel FAL receivers or something...

I've got one single (domestic) DSA receiver.

Assuming that "repair or replacement only" actually applied to me, couldn't I build my FAL on the DSA receiver, then "replace" it with an Imbel receiver, and go down the line like that?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:37:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's say that I've got a bunch of (imported) Imbel FAL receivers or something...

Assuming that "repair or replacement only" actually applied to me, couldn't I build my FAL on the DSA receiver, then "replace" it with an Imbel receiver, and go down the line like that?

I think it has to do more with actual intent. Pretty sure thats why the ATF got all bent out of shape to begin with.. Lets be honest, the whole importerd receivers and imported parts kits assembled here is a loophole that should not excist.. You are basically defeating the 89 import ban (which is an amended section of the the 1968 GCA).

"Repair and replacement" use honestly means to repair or replace (as part of a repair or upgrade ) your weapon that is broken. Not make a new one. No matter how you want to twist it, you are not repairing your kit, or repairing your receiver because they were not sold to you as a complete weapon. A legit use would be to repair or replace parts on your factory SA85, Mitchell Yugo, etc.

Of course, the ATF issuing contradictory statements is nothing new.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:40:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it has to do more with actual intent. Pretty sure thats why the ATF got all bent out of shape to begin with.. Lets be honest, the whole importerd receivers and imported parts kits assembled here is a loophole that should not excist.. You are basically defeating the 89 import ban (which is an amended section of the the 1968 GCA).

It's arguable, I suppose.

Just as it's arguable that DSA's purchase of FAL blueprints and subsequent production of 100% domestic FAL's is defeating the '89 import ban.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:42:22 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's arguable, I suppose.

Just as it's arguable that DSA's purchase of FAL blueprints and subsequent production of 100% domestic FAL's is defeating the '89 import ban.

DSA and imported parts kits are apples and oranges. They basically make the whole weapon here in the USA. The 89 import ban only covers the importation, not the domestic manufacture.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#20]
You can use up to 10 imported parts in your gun and it is still domestic.

Another reason why the ban on recievers is BS.

CRC
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You can use up to 10 imported parts in your gun and it is still domestic.

Another reason why the ban on recievers is BS.

CRC

Yes, but domestic does not matter.. The law says in plain english that the parts may not be used to create a weapon prohibited from importation. Well, an AW, even an American made AW is prohibited from importation. It gives no exception for the 10 parts count, etc....

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#22]
But the BATFE does allow up to 10 imported parts in a rifle.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#23]
They weapons we build are US made. They have enough US made parts to be considered US made, where the rest of the parts come from is irrelevant. It's weird, it not illeagal in the slightest, the law is pretty cut-and-dry when in comes to building. How they can import them is beyond me, but I'm glad they can.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
But the BATFE does allow up to 10 imported parts in a rifle.

Yes, but not for a US imported rifle..

Again, the ATF is saying that you cannot use the kit/receiver to build a weapon that is prohibited from importation..A US made AW is prohibited from importation.  It makes no mention of a US made weapon being ok, 10 US parts, nothing... It is cut and dry what it allows..

And, if the parts are for "repair and replacement" use only, how are you supposed to use them in a build?

Quoted:
They weapons we build are US made. They have enough US made parts to be considered US made, where the rest of the parts come from is irrelevant. It's weird, it not illeagal in the slightest, the law is pretty cut-and-dry when in comes to building. How they can import them is beyond me, but I'm glad they can.

Yes, but again a US made assault weapon is prohibited from importation.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#25]
ANY rifle they declared nonsporting is prohibited from importation but you can import parts to put in a rifle made here (up to 10) with the rest being US manufactured.

That would be 922(r) compliant
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
ANY rifle they declared nonsporting is prohibited from importation but you can import parts to put in a rifle made here (up to 10) with the rest being US manufactured.

That would be 922(r) compliant

Yes, but you cant assemble it using the new imported kits/receivers.. If they were imported before, no problems. The ATF import permits are stamped with a big "for repair and replacement only", and the original importer must follow this. I am sure the ATF got made others were not following this, and thats why they cracked down.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top