Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/27/2006 12:42:45 AM EDT
I'm pretty new to the AK scene and I've seen a lot of Yugo kits discribed as "dark bore". What exactly does that mean?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:24:47 AM EDT
I always thought it meant they were not chrome lined and pitted due to corrosive ammo, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 2:48:53 AM EDT
That's Centerfire's new marketing term for pitte and corroded.

take care,
tec
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:30:05 AM EDT
a tan fellow who's not very entertaining.
hippie.gif
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:06:06 AM EDT
"Dark Bore" is a recent term of art, like "matching numbers, except bolt, which matches itself" indicating just how low the sellers have become and how desparate buyers are.

This is bottom-barrel stuff that wouldn't have sold years ago.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:39:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2006 10:12:29 AM EDT by Crowcreek]

A dark bore means you can't see any light when you look through it.

This is a minor consideration which is easily offset by desirable features such as grenade-launching sights, gas-regulating valves, stock carvings, and night sights.

ETA:
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:16:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:47:57 AM EDT
The description listed on a Yugo kit from Htownimports says "Parts Are In Good- To Very Good Condition ( Dark Bore) ". How can parts be good-very good if the barrel is pitted or corroded? Just seems misleading if you ask me.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:02:02 AM EDT
The problem with the term "dark bore" is that you have no idea what's under that darkness. The barrel could possibly be in great shape or it could have major pitting and errosion. The only way to tell is to thoroughly clean out the barrel of all the gunk which is something that most sellers don't do prior to selling them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:07:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/27/2006 10:11:55 AM EDT by Crowcreek]

Originally Posted By JDizzle:
The description listed on a Yugo kit from Htownimports says "Parts Are In Good- To Very Good Condition ( Dark Bore) ". How can parts be good-very good if the barrel is pitted or corroded? Just seems misleading if you ask me.

Not really. Antiques, cameras, firearms and many other goods have a very well established and respected grading scale, which uses terms like 'good' 'very good', as you probably know. Any defect or exception to the grade will be noted.

So you might see something described as "very good/excellent", minty bore, w/imperceptible rub marks on stock. Barrel needs straightening.

The key is honesty, in the effort as well as the description. Ambiguous terms, happy gas, and confusion are deceptive and misleading.

ETA: Normally anything broken, missing, or unservicable would reduce the grade to 'fair' or 'good' at best -- but the seller sometimes 'forgets' this rule.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 11:21:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:06:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RS39:
Corrosion, which may clean up ok and shoot well. I know some Yugo SKS have turned out to be good shooters, despite the extra cleaning time needed after each range session due to the non-smooth bore. If you crave the model and bargain, try your luck. Most prefer like-new alternatives.

I've got an SKS like that. Looks like a sewerpipe, shoots like a champ. The Yugos made a fine rifle. Were I buying parts to go to the trouble and expense of building up a rifle though, I'd look for something with a little more guarantee.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 4:18:11 PM EDT
Kinda of rusted, but not to bad.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:25:08 PM EDT
thanks for the info. so buying a dark bore is taking a chance on getting one that's okay or bad.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:54:40 PM EDT

thanks for the info. so buying a dark bore is taking a chance on getting one that's okay or bad.

Stay away
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:41:14 PM EDT
It's the other side and not worth the look if you can avoid it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:37:42 AM EDT

Yes, it's a gamble. Your best best is to find someone that bought a bunch of these kits and actually cleaned out the barrels to see their actual condition.
Top Top