Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/26/2006 3:22:34 PM EDT
which is better? i just installed a 74 style havent shot it yet as i just got done and have to work tonight, but i was wondering what are the advantages of each one. what effect do they have on muzzle climb?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#1]
74 is more effective brake/compensator

slant compensator looks more original/better
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The slant only helps if you are rapid firing or going full-auto.  It helps bring the muzzle back down from its up and to the right climb.  The 74 brakes work well.  They also increase the noise signature noticably.  My favorite brake is the AMD 65 brake.  Works as well as the 74 and looks menacing as hell.  If you want the regular look, use a slant...if you want abrke that is going to help eliminate a little recoil, use the 74.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The slant only helps if you are rapid firing or going full-auto.  It helps bring the muzzle back down from its up and to the right climb.  The 74 brakes work well.  They also increase the noise signature noticably.  My favorite brake is the AMD 65 brake.  Works as well as the 74 and looks menacing as hell.  If you want the regular look, use a slant...if you want abrke that is going to help eliminate a little recoil, use the 74.

also makes your 7.62 sound like artillery

noise is not too bad for the shooter, but standing next to an AMD brake will hurt your ears and you can feel the concussion physically... a favorite of the benchrest shooter next to you at the range
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Another alternative is the SEI AK74/100 Vortex.  It's going into very limited production now and should be on the shelves in a couple of months.  Will work for all AK calibers when fitted to the AK74 FSH.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone have a pic of the prototype Vortex for the AK74/100???

AC
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 12:46:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Like others have said the 74 brake is more effective but the slant looks cooler.

Some stupid kids at a gunshow recently were commenting about a slant brake. One said to the other "What is this for?". The other kid replied, "I don't know, maybe it's so you can poke someone with it?".  

How about a Krinkov brake? I'm surprised there aren't more people putting those on AK's. They're popular with the AR crowd but originated on the AK platform.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:58:37 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the info fellas. just one  more question how do i know its on straight? i dont have access to a level but i have looked down the bore the besti could(whit internals removed of course). it looks stright but when i look at a side view of the rifle it looks as if it is tilted up ever so slightly.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:40:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
thanks for the info fellas. just one  more question how do i know its on straight? i dont have access to a level but i have looked down the bore the besti could(whit internals removed of course). it looks stright but when i look at a side view of the rifle it looks as if it is tilted up ever so slightly.

Being threaded and locked into the plunger on the FSB, I can't see how it could be anything but straight.   Did the rifle come with the threads, or did you thread it yourself?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#9]
neither i have a wasr 10 without threads. i picked up a nc star pin on 74 style muzzle brake. the pin goes through the front site block and replaces the stock pin. however the bottom was not cut for the cleaning rod holder so i had to cut it. i cut it so it was a tight fit on the bottom because there is no pin to hold it there, so using a rubber mallet i prceeded to beat the ever living shit out of that sum-bitch till is was sitting "straight" put the pin in. it looks like it is in line when you look down the bore but i want to be absolutely sure. so any ideas?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:43:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I wish a us manufacturer would take the time to make a REAL 74 style brake with the zigzag cuts.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:17:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
74 is more effective brake/compensator

slant compensator looks more original/better

+1
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Hay Clubsoda22...............check dynasystems they MIGHT make some, also they say they do custom work .
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top