Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/25/2006 1:07:51 PM EDT
Used ORF kit.  Finish is 95+.  Barrel is perfect.  Doesn't look like more than a couple hundred rounds were fored down the bore.  All parts match, even the selector.  Only a small amount of pitting inside the gas tube and on the piston.

Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]
On a related note,I got my 4 pk of "used" RPK74 45 round magazines in yesterday...  I think Todd is being generous about these mags being used - they appear brand new!  Three of the four still have a light packing grease on them while the fourth is dry and is the only one that appears "used" - it looks to have been inserted once or twice at the most.

Here are pics...

25 marking on each mag.

Side view - nice bright red bakelite...  What were the Soviets thinking when they made red mags???

The mag on the left has the most wear on it...  That isn't even getting it broken in yet!

Anyhow, bottom line, if you want 45 round mags, get these from Todd now!  They are in great condition and are very reasonably priced.  I have more of these mags I purchased over the years and none of them were in this good of condition and they were all much more expensive.  I know they cost more than the 30 rounders that are out there but these are much harder to find.  I don't know if the supply of these will dry up soon but I bet no matter what they won't get much cheaper.

Spooky

ETA:  I couldn't resist that urge for another RK74kit. - I'm glad I did after seeing these kit reviews.  The CC company is going to love me these next couple months...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 4:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
man, I really want a Plum RPK74. I am just super paranoid that the 5.45 ammo shortage won't improve, and that I will have close to $1000 into a gun (after I send it to a builder and buy a reciever) that I can't fire. They sure are sexy, sexy weapons.......
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]
See if someone in Transnistria can hook you up with some, I watched a show about the place and noticed that their military uses AK-74's  (I'm not sure if they were 74m's)
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:17:58 PM EDT
[#4]
This is what you really need to build that RPK-74

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 3:45:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree and I REALLY need one of those folding stocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:28:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

www.gunco.net/gallery/data/500/RPKS-74_butt_6.jpg

Any chance that came from Ruseller/Andrei?  If you have a regular AK folder (metal triangle or poly) could you compare the trunnions?  I'm just wondering if the RPK folder is much different.

Spooky
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:02:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any chance that came from Ruseller/Andrei?  If you have a regular AK folder (metal triangle or poly) could you compare the trunnions?  I'm just wondering if the RPK folder is much different.

Spooky

Yes, from Andrei..

The parts are very different.. The buttstock is actually a seperate part from the swivel, and attaches sort of like a milled buttstock.. In fact, Germans take milled 47 buttstocks and modify them to fit the Veprs that they sell here with those type of stocks.

Also, the folder does not really seem to be meant to be unfolded and folded at someones leasure.. Its very difficult compared to a standard AK74M.. Probably meant to be folded for the jump, unfolded once the guy hits the DZ, and left like that.....

ETA-

The deal behind the scope rail has two functions. Its the latch to release the stock to fold, and also latches onto the buttstock when its in the folded position.

The latch to release the buttstock to unfold when folded is in the trunnion.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:11:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Stottman;

Awesome photos.

Do you also have one of the right hand side of receiver so I can see what I need to do to the receiver on that side?
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's some close up photos of trunnion: top view, bottom view then folded position.  Note: there is not a latch in front of receiver like the equivalent AK sidefolder.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:40:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Ask and ye shall receive-

They are not mine though, I just stole them from the German importer of the Vepr.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:57:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks Stottman !!!

Sorry TheRealSundance - didn't intend to hijack your thread.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spooky

Yes, from Andrei..

The parts are very different.. The buttstock is actually a seperate part from the swivel, and attaches sort of like a milled buttstock.. In fact, Germans take milled 47 buttstocks and modify them to fit the Veprs that they sell here with those type of stocks.

Also, the folder does not really seem to be meant to be unfolded and folded at someones leasure.. Its very difficult compared to a standard AK74M.. Probably meant to be folded for the jump, unfolded once the guy hits the DZ, and left like that.....

ETA-
www.waffenschumacher.com/shop/bilder/MOLOT/MOLOT1V/Molot-1V_03.JPG

The deal behind the scope rail has two functions. Its the latch to release the stock to fold, and also latches onto the buttstock when its in the folded position.

www.waffenschumacher.com/shop/bilder/MOLOT/Molot1VMini/Molot-1VMini_04.JPG

I emailed Andrei and sounds like he's trying to get a bunch into the US currently.

I guess that having the hook up front to hold the stock folded would mean there would be a long hook with the RPK trunnion.

Stott - I wish there was a 5.45 drum like the .223 ones in the picture.  The RPK with the short barrel looks interesting as well.

Spooky
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Spooky

Yes, from Andrei..

ETA-
www.waffenschumacher.com/shop/bilder/MOLOT/MOLOT1V/Molot-1V_03.JPG

www.waffenschumacher.com/shop/bilder/MOLOT/Molot1VMini/Molot-1VMini_04.JPG

I emailed Andrei and sounds like he's trying to get a bunch into the US currently.

I guess that having the hook up front to hold the stock folded would mean there would be a long hook with the RPK trunnion.

Stott - I wish there was a 5.45 drum like the .223 ones in the picture.  The RPK with the short barrel looks interesting as well.

Spooky

Yes, the hook/latch  doubles as the folder release/button.

The drum is actually a fake prop.. Its a simple 10rd mag inserted into a fake plastic shell.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:24:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks Stottman !!!

Sorry TheRealSundance - didn't intend to hijack your thread.

No problem.  Just send me the buttstock to make up for it!
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Consider it done
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top