Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/21/2006 7:42:26 PM EDT
So, I've been playing with my RPK kits from Centerfire, and one of them has some major throat erosion.

The rifling still looks good (though I'm no expert), and I was curious, what could be done to recrown this barrel?

If possibly, would it make any difference?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:03:00 PM EDT
Recrowning it would have nothing to do with the throat erosion.
The crown is the end of the barrel, not the chamber part.
Now if you did have a damaged crown, i.e. rifle dropped on concrete muzzle down,
resulting in damage to the end of the barrel, then you would have reason to recrown the barrel.
Recrowning the barrel will improve the accuracy if there was an issue from damage.

Throat erosion is from the repeated firing of the weapon and when it is subjected to the
constant firing / heat it will wear out the lead in the barrel where the bullet first enters
and accelerates down the barrel. THe hot gasses behind the bullet are what causes the
erosion of the throat in rifles. It can be especially bad in machineguns and "overbore" calibers.

KyARGuy
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:18:14 PM EDT
Hrmmm....

Maybe I'm confusing terms or something, then.

The little bullet-test deal that you do, by putting the bullet down the end of the barrel (muzzle, right?), indicates that it is all blasted out. I had thought that this was "throat erosion".

The inserted cartridge, it goes right up to the case neck.

Anyhow, guess I need to pay more attention to things.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 8:41:52 PM EDT
Then that barrel is a goner.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:07:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Morning_Wood:
Then that barrel is a goner.

Explain.

I'm interested in the theory behind it, if nothing else.

I had thought that recrowning would solve that issue?
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:11:21 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 9:46:04 AM EDT
I think you're talking about counter boring. This is done by having some sort of large drill bit bore into the end of the barrel and removing the area where the bullet test fails and stopping where you pass the bullet test.
Top Top