Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2006 6:55:59 PM EDT
I never really considered an AK before for some reasion but I saw one and fell for it. Its pretty damn inexpensive and quite a looker. I guess I fell for the black stock. I am totally new to AKs. I wanted a .223 for the ammo availability and price. What are the pros and cons? It would mostly be a plinker. Any reasion to pick it over an inexpensive AR like the oly arms plinker? Where would I find one for the least $$$? Im at a total loss for knowledge, thats why I dont have any more specific questions.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:15:20 PM EDT
cons- magazines are harder to find, but are available
does not take standard ak furniture
barrel not threaded

pro's- reliabe

dont know who has them in stock
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:23:42 AM EDT
Well I say go for it. I love my Vepr and like you one of the things that drew me to it was the "BLACK STOCK" lol. The furniture is is a lot more comfortable for ME than the standard AK furniture and my Vepr .223 is probably the most accurate AK I have. As far as mags it is not a problem. You can convert the 74mags with the Robinson follower no problem as a matter of fact that is what kind of mag that comes with your Vepr is a converted 74mag and I have had Zero problems with it or the others I converted and it is easy. I have some of the more expensive Bulgarian Waffle mags for .223 but I think the 74mags are faster to change out and work fine. You can order balck ones from KVAR and the followers from Robinson. I do not care if it does not take the "classic" AK furniture since I like the Vepr stuff better any way. If you saw one in stock somewhere I would pick it up. If you want a nice AK and can not find a Vepr get a Global trades or Aresenal they both have the "Classic" look and are top notch rifles. My Global trades however does not have the scope mount on the side.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:41:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:56:31 AM EDT
I love mine.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:45:44 AM EDT
Ok thanks guys! Hopefully Ill be able to get one. Im linking the sounds of them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:56:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LUGERMAN:
I love mine.

www.huntingpictures.net/photo/000716

I love those KTRs. The ones I have held bridge the gap between what I like best on the AK and what I like best on the AR. Very nice.
Top Top