Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/20/2006 12:28:14 PM EDT
My Century Yugo M70 UF has stained wood like it was sitting in oil or has dirt in the wood grain. How can I pull all that 'crap' out of the wood grain?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:04:29 PM EDT
Chris, I just recently refinished my M59/66 SKS and it had a ton of cosmoline still in the upper handguard after (3) dishwasher runs. Mainly on the ends but some places in the middle too. Some have great success in the dishwaher, just remove before the dry heat kicks in and let air dry. Some wrap the stock or stock pieces in a black bag with kitty litter and store in car trunk for a few days which leeches and absorbs the oil out. For my upper since it had already seen the DW, I borrowed a small poratble steamer. The kind I used looked like a small iron and I think was really made for curtains, slacks, etc. But the top end did have steam coming out so I used it. There are others that have a small spout that puts out the steam, those would be best. Anyway I would hold the steam up to the ends and wait 10-15 seconds, remove and with a paper towel wipe away the oil. I did this over and over again until I could get no more out of it and then washed or scrubbed it good with Mean Green cleaner, similar to Simple Green cleaner and then let it dry. I repeated these steps over a couple of days time and finally it got it all out of there!
Top Top