Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/16/2006 11:41:49 PM EDT
Arsenal SA M-5?  It is, essentially, an AK74 clone.  I don't like '74 brakes on traditional 7.62 rifles, save for the AK-103, but on the SA M-5...I'm not so sure.  

What types of muzzle devices do you guys use on your SAM5s?

Bud
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:09:51 AM EDT
[#1]
real ak's are not chambered for such a caliber

lol i want one
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:11:40 AM EDT
[#2]
What threads does the barrel have? I would just put a flash hider on it, will be more compact and quieter. I hate brakes.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:44:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:55:09 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

lol i want one

I hope your above statement was a joke.  If not, then why is there an AK101 or AK102 or Polish Beryl wz.96 or Yugo M95A or Galil or Valmet or...

I could go on and on.  Also, is it not true that countries that have joined NATO are now converting over their AK's to .223?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:26:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol i want one

I hope your above statement was a joke.  If not, then why is there an AK101 or AK102 or Polish Beryl wz.96 or Yugo M95A or Galil or Valmet or...

I could go on and on.  Also, is it not true that countries that have joined NATO are now converting over their AK's to .223?

They were forced to adopt the 5.56 when they joined NATO.

AK101 and 102 are exclusively for export and are not issued.

I want a SAM5 too.

Back to the original question ,I think the 74 style brake or 24mm flashhider looks the best on the SAM5.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:29:19 AM EDT
[#6]
SEI Vortex...works just dandy for me!  

If you want the AK74/100-series FSH, then wait a couple of months and get the new 74/100 Vortex.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

lol i want one

They were forced to adopt the 5.56 when they joined NATO.

AK101 and 102 are exclusively for export and are not issued.

I want a SAM5 too.

Back to the original question ,I think the 74 style brake or 24mm flashhider looks the best on the SAM5.

Yep, never said they weren't forced, just that the AK is indeed chambered for .223.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:24:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
SEI Vortex...works just dandy for me!  

If you want the AK74/100-series FSH, then wait a couple of months and get the new 74/100 Vortex.  

+1

the SA-M5's are the small bore versions of the SA-M7's,...not a version of a 74,...the reason it looks like the bulgy 74 is because of the gas chamber on all bulgys looks the same,..and Arsenal rifles are basically US made bulgy rifles

i put a slant brake and a muzzel nut on my SA-M5,.. and unless you looked at the size of the hole in the barrel there was no diffrence from the SA-M7 except the model #

now i do have a vortex like thing comming i dont know if it a smith ent. one,...but if it is not,.. i am getting one for my SA-M5,..other that that,.. i would just leave the stock brake on it,..it is pretty effective in its own right

and if i get my AKS-74U Krinkov builtin 5.56,.. i want a Vortex on that as well
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:37:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Cruize27 --- "and if i get my AKS-74U Krinkov builtin 5.56,.. i want a Vortex on that as well"

Well, it would look neat as all get out, but I'm not sure if it would work without the AKS-74U expansion chamber device on the end.  Now, having said that -- IF, lets say IF somebody like SEI has to make an AKS-74U expansion chamber with a Vortex on the end, you would definitely have something most interesting.  Would probably be rather pricey as there's not much of a market for such a niche item.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Cruize27 --- "and if i get my AKS-74U Krinkov builtin 5.56,.. i want a Vortex on that as well"

Well, it would look neat as all get out, but I'm not sure if it would work without the AKS-74U expansion chamber device on the end.  Now, having said that -- IF, lets say IF somebody like SEI has to make an AKS-74U expansion chamber with a Vortex on the end, you would definitely have something most interesting.  Would probably be rather pricey as there's not much of a market for such a niche item.

that chamber is for a greater gas impulse during FA fire,...a SA Krink should be fine with a Vortex. if not,.. well i have a extra cone laying around
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that chamber is for a greater gas impulse during FA fire,...a SA Krink should be fine with a Vortex. if not,.. well i have a extra cone laying around

======
Oh, I understand the function....I was thinking more along the lines of a select-fire application.  But for a civie SBR-type Krink, I guess it would certainly be worth a try.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#12]
       B-o-S, congrats on your SAM-5 score.  I hopefully have a no-ban coming.  I am going to go the AK-74 route on mine and probably add a        K-VART US-made plum stock set, a Krebs Custom peep sight, and Blackjack buffer.  This is a pic of Bryants SAM-5 from " one of the other AK boards ".
I really love  the way the brake looks, but will keep the regular fixed stock.  I have decided to get two cases of NIB Lake City M855 green-tip to feed it.  Hopefully K-VART will come through with the new black Bulgarian Circle 10 5.56x 45 30 round waffles mags soon!!!

AC

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
       B-o-S, congrats on your SAM-5 score.  I hopefully have a no-ban coming.  I am going to go the AK-74 route on mine and probably add a        K-VART US-made plum stock set, a Krebs Custom peep sight, and Blackjack buffer.  This is a pic of Bryants SAM-5 from " one of the other AK boards ".
I really love  the way the brake looks, but will keep the regular fixed stock.  I have decided to get two cases of NIB Lake City M855 green-tip to feed it.  Hopefully K-VART will come through with the new black Bulgarian Circle 10 5.56x 45 30 round waffles mags soon!!!

AC

i47.photobucket.com/albums/f193/Mbsells77/Pic1AKSM1A1.jpg

That isn't a SAM5 b/c it uses a stamped reciever instead of a milled reciever.  Wasn't this picture from KVAR's forum?

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#14]

That isn't a SAM5 b/c it uses a stamped reciever instead of a milled reciever.  Wasn't this picture from KVAR's forum?

Yes, and AK forums.  You are right.  The owner made a .223 AK out of an SLR-105 by changing out a bunch of parts and barrel.  Let's hope that Arsenal someday soon makes a stamped .223 AK...

AC
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#15]
"Not a version of the 74."  OOPS!  "Cruzie" you're right.  I must have been thinking 5.45.x39!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Actually all Bulgarian made stamped/milled AK's versions with 74 comps. The original stamped version in 5.56 called the AKS-74 M1A1 originally had a 74 style comp. However they later went to AKM pattern only on the pattern 2 models for the stamped versions to distinguish them. FACTORY produced 5.56 guns also used a 74 compensator on the milled versions as well. Only export models do not have the 74 comps.

Also that is my AK. I am also known by other names on other boards.

Factory Export Bulgarian AK-74 M1A1 5.56 Fixed Stock, Pattern 2, less than 100 produced. Circa 1996.

Factory Export Arsenal Bulgarian AKS-74 M1A1 5.56 Pattern 2, less than 650 produced. Circa 1996.

This is my actual AKS-74M1A1 5.56 Pattern 1 available for export circa 1995-1996, less than 200 produced originally. No it did not start as an SLR 105, the project began well over seven years ago- trust me, it was started back when K-Var was just getting on the web and 47.net had less than a couple hundred members. It has always been a 5.56 gun.  

Factory Arsenal Bulgaria M9-F 5.56 MILLED, notice again 74 comp, export models do not have the 74 comp, such as the SAM 5.

Creeper
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 10:57:38 PM EDT
[#17]
But that's not a 74 comp on the M9-F.  It has an AK74 FSB, but the muzzle device looks like a Bulgy flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:35:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
But that's not a 74 comp on the M9-F.  It has an AK74 FSB, but the muzzle device looks like a Bulgy flash suppressor.

When they first put 74 comps on they didn't have that flash hider but the front sight is the same. I agree the 74 comp itself looks retarded on anything but the 74 but they now put that style front sight with that new style flash hider on everything except the rifles they export here for some reason except the SAM7 ones. Honestly I think it just adds more weight.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Creeper,  sorry about the misunderstanding of your .223 AK.  It obviously is one in a million...

I think my Krebs Custom AK-74 looks bitchen with the Bulgarian flash hider and plum furniture...

AC

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:10:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Creeper,  sorry about the misunderstanding of your .223 AK.  It obviously is one in a million...

I think my Krebs Custom AK-74 looks bitchen with the Bulgarian flash hider and plum furniture...

AC

www.hunt101.com/img/350634.jpg

Indeed it does, sir.

Sweet!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#21]
What type of sling is that Doc?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What type of sling is that Doc?

Specter Gear CST sling (#220 COY) 3 point tactical...

www.spectergear.com

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 5:40:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Outstanding, thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#24]
My Arsenal Inc. SAM-5 (no ban) from Lew Horton's arrived as an Arsenal SA-M5 (post ban).  Sheet dang, crappola .  I guess I am glad to get one real cheap.  I hope that my gunsmith can easily remove the blind silver soldered pin so I can replace the crappy looking stock muzzle brake with a 14mm x 22mm bushing and Krebs AK-74 muzzle brake.  The good news is that I found a no-ban Arsenal Inc.
SAM-5R for sale at Citadel Guns and Safes in Las Vegas kickass, yeahawwwww!!!  Now as soon as
K-VART gets in the black Bulgarian cCrcle 10 30 round mags, I will be styling

AC
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:46:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My Arsenal Inc. SAM-5 (no ban) from Lew Horton's arrived as an Arsenal SA-M5 (post ban).  Sheet dang, crappola .  I guess I am glad to get one real cheap.  I hope that my gunsmith can easily remove the blind silver soldered pin so I can replace the crappy looking stock muzzle brake with a 14mm x 22mm bushing and Krebs AK-74 muzzle brake.  The good news is that I found a no-ban Arsenal Inc.
SAM-5R for sale at Citadel Guns and Safes in Las Vegas kickass, yeahawwwww!!!  Now as soon as
K-VART gets in the black Bulgarian cCrcle 10 30 round mags, I will be styling

AC

Congrats, sir.

I'll tell you what, I just got a shipment of five SA M-5 rifles in and they were expensive as hell.  Even at dealer cost!  If you can find a dealer with old stock on hand, buy it (them).  

Enjoy your new rifle.

Bud
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 5:59:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I'll tell you one thing, that AK74 brake is a damn nice piece of work.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top