Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/15/2006 5:38:42 PM EDT
Title says it all.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 8:19:41 PM EDT
Mild more than likely since most x54 is mild steel as well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:51:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Creeper:
Mild more than likely since most x54 is mild steel as well.

Thanks! My understanding is that the steel is used because it is cheaper than lead and acts like a 'filler', if you will. Although it does penetrate better than lead core.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:44:17 PM EDT
Its uses a mild steel core for manufacturing purposes, not for increased penetration. Why people get so hungup on this ammo, I'll never know. True 7.62x39 AP ammo was rarely produced and issued, and only for a limited amount of time because its performance wasn't much better than standard Ball rounds to justify the increased cost of production. If mild steel core ammo penetrates better than standard FMJ ball ammo, it will be only marginally better and usually not worth the trouble. If you have some, enjoy it because its great ammo but please don't spend a fortune seeking out so-called "steel core AP" ammo....not worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:04:57 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ryno_the_wyno:
Its uses a mild steel core for manufacturing purposes, not for increased penetration. Why people get so hungup on this ammo, I'll never know. True 7.62x39 AP ammo was rarely produced and issued, and only for a limited amount of time because its performance wasn't much better than standard Ball rounds to justify the increased cost of production. If mild steel core ammo penetrates better than standard FMJ ball ammo, it will be only marginally better and usually not worth the trouble. If you have some, enjoy it because its great ammo but please don't spend a fortune seeking out so-called "steel core AP" ammo....not worth the trouble.

Amen. I cant agree with him more. All i shoot is steel core chinese surplus, most of what I have is all dated 64 and i've never had a problem. I bought lots of it about 10-11 years ago for cheap, like 69 bucks per 1000rds. I've tested the "AP" theory against different ammo manf. and it all caused about the same penetration. I was shooting at 50 yards at a 1/2 steel plate and i couldnt tell the difference. The ammo is corrossive but i've gone months without cleaning my maadi and the bore is still nice and shiney.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:03:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By motorcityman:

Amen. I cant agree with him more. All i shoot is steel core chinese surplus, most of what I have is all dated 64 and i've never had a problem. I bought lots of it about 10-11 years ago for cheap, like 69 bucks per 1000rds. I've tested the "AP" theory against different ammo manf. and it all caused about the same penetration. I was shooting at 50 yards at a 1/2 steel plate and i couldnt tell the difference. The ammo is corrossive but i've gone months without cleaning my maadi and the bore is still nice and shiney.

I recently got into Mosin-Nagants and most of the 7.62X54R surplus on the market is corrosive steel-core ammo. I was curious if the 7.62X39 is 'mild' steel core, as is the 7.62X54R, why was everyone so excited about it. You guys put it into perspective. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:08:02 PM EDT
If it's hardened steel, it would be the first thing to come out of China that way.

Bomber
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:16:14 PM EDT

People only got hung up on it because AllThingsFun decided to ban it from importation.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:43:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thedoctors308:

People only got hung up on it because AllThingsFun decided to ban it from importation.

What I don't understand is why ATF considers 7.62X39 'mild' steel-core ammo as AP ammo, but not XM855 or M855. Well, the Chinese ban would prevent importation of Chinese ammo anyway.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:00:56 PM EDT
Your first mistake is trying to make sense of the hypocrisy of BATF gun regulations. They are extremely complicated and nonsensical. The BATF is used to protect American interests in the gun industry. M855 will out penetrate "real" 7.62x39 AP ammo, but yet its commonly availible and perfectly legal, the same with M2 AP. M855 is made by American companies, and thier subsidiaries who count on the private sectors to buy thiere "seconds" to keep thier lights turned on. Also, why would anwyone buy Winchester white box 7.62x39 when you could buy Norinco steel core for a song. They find ways to "regulate" or ban things that pose a threat to American commerce. Again, what sense is it to ban Sig/HK/FN/Steyr's from importation? Why, to allow the AR15*American* to become the most prevalent firearm in LE/Gov circles, of course made by American companies exclusively. If you "ban" the competition, it makes monpolizing the market much easier. The majority of gun laws surrounding assault weapons and thier amm/components are rediculous and are based in "urban legend" rather than hard fact. I asked my non-gun toting GF what percentage of American homicides were commited with "assault weapons". She honestly answered 75%.....WTF? Incedently, its something like 1% on average, which is statistically insignificant, atleast according to the DOJ. Keep in mind that there is more to gun laws then what appears a face value....and we will never have the whole story, so trying to make sense of lunacy is a waste of time.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:12:22 PM EDT

Your first mistake is trying to make sense of the hypocrisy of BATF gun regulations.

I do admit that I try to make sense of things. Good post.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:16:54 PM EDT
i have a whole bunch of recovered 122gr. slugs and steel cores from the bullets. . .anyone with a hardness tester want to sample one of these?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:11:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2006 8:13:35 PM EDT by frick]
"Also, why would anwyone buy Winchester white box 7.62x39 when you could buy Norinco steel core for a song."

Uhh, have you seen the asking price for Norinco steel core ammunition lately? I'll tell you what, I'll make you a profit of 30 bucks for every case of chinese steel core you can send me if you can buy it at 69.99.

In fact, I'll bet if you put up some for trade on Winchester white box, you would have people lining up to swap, and paying the shippping.
Top Top