Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/14/2006 9:13:12 PM EDT
I gotta say since I have put on my K-Var black warsaw pact length polymer stock (part number AKBSW), I have noticed a couple neat differences from my original crappy SAR stuff. Most noticeably the angle on the pistol grip appears slightly different from the original, the original is a few degrees closer to vertical than this one. I am actually likeing the new one because my finger is placed better on the trigger and more naturally. Second, the handguard is noticeably wider and a tad more comfortable to my hand. Does its heat sheild actually make a noticable difference? Has anyone else noticed these things? Also the rifle is much lighter, duh, but I feel its a ton eaiser to move with and shoulder. Im no pussy lol I can handle the weight, this is just a nice feature.

One last thing, does anyone know the origin of the '74 grooves on the stocks seen since the AK-74 debut.

Anyone wanting to chime in or comment on their experiences with this stock set please do.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 12:32:44 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GuitarGuy:
I gotta say since I have put on my K-Var black warsaw pact length polymer stock (part number AKBSW), I have noticed a couple neat differences from my original crappy SAR stuff. Most noticeably the angle on the pistol grip appears slightly different from the original, the original is a few degrees closer to vertical than this one. I am actually likeing the new one because my finger is placed better on the trigger and more naturally. Second, the handguard is noticeably wider and a tad more comfortable to my hand. Does its heat sheild actually make a noticable difference? Has anyone else noticed these things? Also the rifle is much lighter, duh, but I feel its a ton eaiser to move with and shoulder. Im no pussy lol I can handle the weight, this is just a nice feature.

One last thing, does anyone know the origin of the '74 grooves on the stocks seen since the AK-74 debut.
Anyone wanting to chime in or comment on their experiences with this stock set please do.

On the wood stock AK-74's the grooves are lightening cuts, which saved an ounce or two towards meeting the maximum weight specification. I have no idea why the polymer stocks have them.

I've only heard good things about the K-Var stocks, though I've yet to get a set.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 1:06:43 AM EDT
I've heard the grooves were put in originally to help distinguish 5.45 AK's from 7.62 AK's, lest somebody can't tell the difference and attempts to put the wrong mag/ammo in .
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:03:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:11:40 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RS39:

Originally Posted By Bob1984:
I've heard the grooves were put in originally to help distinguish 5.45 AK's from 7.62 AK's, lest somebody can't tell the difference and attempts to put the wrong mag/ammo in .

Friend has this in a book somewhere too...

Un-sheilded poly handguards have rapid heat sharing with your hands. Wood gets hands hotter a bit faster than sheilded poly, and takes a bit longer to cool. Unsheilded poly sucks imho.

+1

that heat sheild makes a diffrence,.. you wont notice it until you fire up a rifle that does not have one.

if your plastic does not have a heat shield,..ive heard of people useing cut up beer / soda cans to make one
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 10:29:12 AM EDT
I definately have the heat sheild, and it is a substantial sheet of metal, not sure as to weather its aluminium or steel but it looks like serious business. On my next trip to WV ill give it a real test with some serious bump fireing. Otherwise ill see if i can heat it up at the range.
Top Top