Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/13/2006 10:05:01 AM EDT
I just bought a new WASR-10, and was totally psyched about taking it out to the farm. Well, I went to shoot it, and when I fired the first round it felt like the gun was punching me in the face. As it turns out, with the sights so low on the AK, I have to really mash my cheek into the stock to get a proper sight picture, to the point that it's resting right under my cheekbone.

The gun has a similar recoil impulse to my SKS, but the comb of the stock sits much higher, thus causing this problem. Has anyone else ever had this problem? And if so, is there any aftermarket stock that doesn't sit as high? I really want to like this gun, but as it is right now, it's completely impossible for me to shoot it comfortably while using the sights. Right now it seems my only option is to drop another 200 bucks on a Kobra red dot sight, which I really can't afford at the moment.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:15:44 AM EDT
[#1]
A kobra should only be $150 or so if you look around.

A romanian wire folder deffinately sits lower, and you'd have a folding stock to boot.

From what I can tell the bulgarian and k-var polymer buttstocks sit a little lower than the romanian stocks. If you wanted to go black, it would probably help out your sighting problem.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:14:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Belt sander.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I never figured the AK had much kick to it at all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#5]
MY AK doesn't kick bad at all.  I have the butthole stock.  Change your stock!
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Over the years the angle of the AK stocks has changed.  The "AK-47" double tang stocks and even the single tang ones had a more downward angle to them and the sights were easy to use.  Since the newer "AKM" style the stock has a more straight back angle to it sort of like the AR15/M16.  The designers figured the controllabilty during FA fire was more important than a proper cheek weld.  You are not alone in the " I can't get my head low enough to see the sights" problem.  A T6 stock has more angle and is smaller so you can actually see the sights with that one, some of the folders are better sight wise too.  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#7]
If you think that stings, shoot one with an e.german or rom. wire stock.  spanky, spanky.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Get an ACE stock set and use the bottom two holes on the reciever block and get a Kobra or a weaver mount and a reddot. I hate the Romanian stocks also. My Global Trades blond stock set feels a bit better than what came on my WASR.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:49:50 AM EDT
[#9]
You may want to try a chinese buttstock as they have a more downward slope than the euro stuff. Puts the sights up in front of your eye sight so ya don't have to cock your head over so much to see 'em.Madtechcool
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:45:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I just put Ironwood furniture on my WASR and it's like a whole new rifle. Sight line is much better.
A G2 trigger also helps. My .02
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 5:56:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:35:57 AM EDT
[#12]
this is why I had to switch to the fake krink stock below:

took away what I called the "cheek slap", and took some weight off the rifle as well.

*also ditch any recoil buffer you're using if you're using one, the one that came with mine seemed to increase this painful feeling.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:41:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Mauser Mark, did that AK pouch come with a strap or you just got it runing through the belt loops?   I have seen those pouches but none that come with a shoulder strap.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:58:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Mauser Mark, did that AK pouch come with a strap or you just got it runing through the belt loops?   I have seen those pouches but none that come with a shoulder strap.

no I put that there, so I don't have to wear it on a belt.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:18:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
this is why I had to switch to the fake krink stock below:

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a199/markawil/74new2.jpg

took away what I called the "cheek slap", and took some weight off the rifle as well.

*also ditch any recoil buffer you're using if you're using one, the one that came with mine seemed to increase this painful feeling.

Where did you get the stock from? Did it require you to change out the rear trunion?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top