Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/4/2006 10:33:59 AM EDT
I bought one of the $229 Bulgarian AK74S sidefolder non-matching kits from ORF this week. The bolt and carrier are not matching to the trunnion and barrel.
The headspace is too tight. Bolt closes on its own, Go gage wont go, tried it with live round (removed firing pin from bolt before doing this) and it starts to close but stops about 1/4 of the way into the rotation.
What I want to find out is the proper procedure for headspacing when it is too tight. Should I press the barrel forward until it headspaces ok and repin it or should I take a little bit off the lugs of the bolt?
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:11:07 AM EDT
Press the barrel foreward and then re-pin with an over size pin.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:18:19 AM EDT
if you can mil the kugs go for it,...thats how headspace is set on most milled recivers,..but before you cut anything,.. try a diffrent or new bolt
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:16:44 PM EDT
OK- you are damn close, and you have gauges. I've had to do the following before...

Take a dremel "poly polishing" wheel to the BACK of the bolt lugs - use the COARSE (brown) color wheel. These will remove metal - but they remove VERY little at a very SLOW rate. If they prove to be too "mild" - you can step up to a fine sandpaper drum - but check your headspace FREQUENTLY as you remove just a touch of metal - and be uniform on both lugs. Stop as soon as the bolt barely closes on real rounds, or just STARTS to close on a US 5.45 GO gauge.

If you blow it? Well - you needed a different bolt anyway :) Little lost...
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:31:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/4/2006 5:31:51 PM EDT by Ekie]
Probably not going to get any where swapping bolts, all those ones I have checked headspace the same.

I have one of those ''nobeard" GO gauges, and never found a 74 that the bolt would lock on it

Never checked the headspace with a round though, so don't know how easy the bolt locks on one.

Would not be surprised if your gauge was wrong, instead of the headspace.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:26:56 PM EDT
"Would not be surprised if your gauge was wrong, instead of the headspace"

Ditto - US GO gauges tend to be too tight. This is why I said to do your final minimum HS check with a few real rounds (NO FP, plese - we want you and your family alive).
Top Top