Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2006 8:29:27 AM EDT
My ffl has an AK for sale, $325, I don't have any specifics as of yet but he knew that I was looking to build one and told me he had one for sale.  What types should I stay away from?  It is new and never fired, probably a SAR 1..What should I look for?  This will be my first AK, I will still build one but this sounds like a deal.

Thanks in advance,
Mike
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:40:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Mike,
   For that money it's probably a WASR, which is not a bad starter AK.  Just look it over for any obvious flaws like canted front sight, check mag fit, etc.  If it passes your inspection then buy it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like a plan.  Can a slanted brake be attached to a WASR?  Guess I will have to wait to get the rifle before I start adding to it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Sounds like a plan.  Can a slanted brake be attached to a WASR?  Guess I will have to wait to get the rifle before I start adding to it.

yes if it has a threaded front site base, if it doesn't you'll need to replace the front sight base with a threaded one.

But since you're in NY, I don't think you can own the banned features.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:32:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, you can add a brake if it's got a threaded barrel. If not, you can always thread the barrel yourself. For all the bad things I've seen written about the WASR, mine is a fine rifle. A friend bought one soon after, and his mags fit horribly and the front sight was canted. My only complaint is that mine does not seem to like HP ammo of any kind. Always jamming.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Damn, didn't see that one.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

yes if it has a threaded front site base, if it doesn't you'll need to replace the front sight base with a threaded one.

If it was a SAR-1 or a 7.62x39 WASR you wouldn't change out the FSB you would just thread it 14x1 LH threads.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 12:00:10 PM EDT
[#7]
i just got a wasr like 5 months ago,i must say for the money it rocks!....watch out for little metal burs on your bolt carreir rails.....check your gas piston...make shure it is not bent.....and if it is a wasr...who cares aqbout the front sight anywho....it's just a bump firing whore.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Got a reply from him, says its a Bulgarian AK?  What does one of these look like?  Is $325 a good deal?

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:15:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless it's something that's been damaged, I can't think of any Bulgarian AK that $325 would not be a bargain price for.  What cartridge is is chambered for (7.62x39, 5.45x39, or 5.56x45(aka 223Rem))?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:45:38 PM EDT
[#10]
He said it was a 47 so Im assuming 7.39, hopefully.  I have to wait till he gets back in April to check it out though.  I asked for more info, thumbhole stock etc.  Are these rifles better then the SAR1, WASR 10s??  I didn't see any for sale on gunbroker so I dont know what they usually go for.  I hope he has his info right.  I asked for a model number  also.  Probably wont hear anyting until tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's a picture of a 7.62x39 SLR-95:

Honestly, it sounds too good to be true.  I'd bet that he's mistaken.  Let's hope not.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Honestly if it has dimples in the magwell get it.
If it does not it’s decently a romy wasr and your call. Some are good some are total crap.
I saw one at a gun store guy was asking $500 and the front site was crooked as all hell and the bayo lug looked like ass, seemed like the monkey that did the bayo lug wanted it to match the front site. I tried to suggest $250 for it but he gave me a funny look so I just laughed and shrugged my shoulders and then left.
it was a sad excuse for a over priced gun shop anyways
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Stay away from anything manufactured by B-West.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 11:27:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Dimples in the magwell??  Not sure what dimples I would be looking for, LOL.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:14:12 AM EDT
[#15]
He can have the slanted brake but it will have to be silver soldered on.

S.O.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 12:08:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I talked to my ffl about the rifle again, he states that it has wood furniture.  I can't find any Bulgarian rifles for sale with wood furniture...could this be an older rifle?  I know he isn't stupid but not sure how much he knows about AK's.  He is in FLA and the rifle is in NY, so I have to wait to see it in person.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#17]
It could be an SLR-96.  It's the same as an SLR-95 except that it has a wood stock set.  I'm guessing that the rifle probably isn't Bulgarian.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 2:52:01 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
He said it was a 47 so Im assuming 7.39, hopefully.  I have to wait till he gets back in April to check it out though.  I asked for more info, thumbhole stock etc.  Are these rifles better then the SAR1, WASR 10s??  I didn't see any for sale on gunbroker so I dont know what they usually go for.  I hope he has his info right.  I asked for a model number  also.  Probably wont hear anyting until tomorrow.

its 7.62 by 39 not 7.39
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#19]
It could be a Bulgy, at the last gunshow there was a dealer selling Bulgy 47's for $399. Stamped 7.62 rifles with pistol grips and no threaded barrels or baynet lugs. He said they were older thumbhole rifles he converted. Came with a 5 rd mag and no accessories.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
It could be a Bulgy, at the last gunshow there was a dealer selling Bulgy 47's for $399. Stamped 7.62 rifles with pistol grips and no threaded barrels or baynet lugs. He said they were older thumbhole rifles he converted. Came with a 5 rd mag and no accessories.

I don't think that is correct.  The only older Bulgarian 7.62x39 rifles that I know of all have machined receivers.  My guess is that it's a case of him not knowing one Eastern Block country from the other.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#21]
7.62x39 I know, I know...I was half in the bag, LOL, sorry!!!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top