Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/2/2006 2:07:11 PM EDT
I am in the market for a short barreled AK. I am looking at the yugo M92's in 7.62 and the AMD-65. I am wondering which of these rifles is the better choice? How much range and accuracy do you lose with the krink compared to the amd? Are they both just as reliable as standard AK's? I am looking at getting either in rifle form, so that either means extended brake or fake can. I like the looks of the krink better but which one is a more effective rifle? Which one is more accurate and what is the effective range on both of them?

Thanks,
Shawn
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, both are more in the short range toy category.  The M92 with the underfolder stock will at least allow you to get some kind of a cheek weld, which means it will be easier to shoot and almost certainly more accurate than the AMD-65 at any range.  Unless you are some kind of a mutant, you cannot touch any part of your face securely to an AMD-65 stock and actually look through the sights.

I would venture to guess that the max range on the M92 is probably 100 yds.  A real AK will usually shoot 3-5 MOA, which means man sized target out to 300yds.  You'll need to be a good shot and have a better than average gun to do much better than that.  Alter the variables to include a short barrel and a shorter sight radius and you'll cut the range by 1/2 - 1/3.  Worse for the AMD.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
All of the above is true, however the AMD won't cost you a kidney.  The brakes are LOUD though.  Whoo-haar, break windows, learn sign language kinda loud.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
All of the above is true, however the AMD won't cost you a kidney.  The brakes are LOUD though.  Whoo-haar, break windows, learn sign language kinda loud.  

Loud scares away the dumbasses.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Loud scares away the dumbasses.

then why do they flock to my PSL when i shoot it?
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]
OK here is my 2 cents
I've had my time handling Underfolders, AMD-65s and krinks. Taking all to the range.
I feel your best beat is the AMD-65.
The underfolder is not comfortable at all. The way the stock is made it’s too wide which makes it a pain to line up the sights. It looks cool as hell don't get me wrong I'm going to build a couple when I get receivers in. but I don't find it to be a gun I'd shot on a regular basis
The Krinkov I LOVE the Krinkov but the way it is best is with a Russian or Bulgarian sidefolder. they give you enough cheek weld and its in the right place not an inch to the left like on a UF .
The AMD-65 yes its ugly but its one of my favorites. The stock looks like it would have no support but it provides the ideal amount and lets you line up your sight perfect and quickly. it has a slightly longer barrel than the krink so that should help your accuracy. Its not so high dollar that you have to take special care of it.  
A friend has a milled Bulgarian krink in 7.62 that cost A LOT
But his $240 AMD-65 is just as reliable and controllable  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:49:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Does anyone know what kind of groups they shoot at 100yds? I appreciate all of your feedback.

Thanks,
Shawn
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:20:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
OK here is my 2 cents
I've had my time handling Underfolders, AMD-65s and krinks. Taking all to the range.
I feel your best beat is the AMD-65.
The underfolder is not comfortable at all. The way the stock is made it’s too wide which makes it a pain to line up the sites. It looks cool as hell don't get me wrong I'm going to build a couple when I get receivers in. but I don't find it to be a gun I'd shot on a regular basis
The Krinkov I LOVE the Krinkov but the way it is best is with a Russian or Bulgarian sidefolder. they give you enough cheek weld and its in the right place not an inch to the left like on a UF .
The AMD-65 yes its ugly but its one of my favorites. The stock looks like it would have no support but it provides the ideal amount and lets you line up your site perfect and quickly. it has a slight longer barrel than the krink so that should help your accuracy. Its not so high dollar that you have to take special care of it.  
A friend has a milled Bulgarian krink in 7.62 that cost A LOT
But his $240 AMD-65 is just as reliable and controllable  

+1.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont know an average group size.  I never shoot AKs from a bench.  its more of an on the move or behind cover type of shooting
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 9:57:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't think the AMD-65 is ugly it just needs a little TLC.As far as cheek weld its better than an underfolder and mine is pretty damn accurate.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#11]
mutt that is exactly how i want mine to look if i get a amd. How did you get regualr handgaurds to fit on there? did you just shorten a regular gas tube/handgaurd?

Thanks,
Shawn
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 10:18:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
mutt that is exactly how i want mine to look if i get a amd. How did you get regualr handgaurds to fit on there? did you just shorten a regular gas tube/handgaurd?

Thanks,
Shawn

You just have to cut a gas tube down and open it up enough to fit the gas block.

Just make sure you get it redhot when you flare it or it could split.
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Just make sure you get it redhot when you flare it or it could split.

Remember to twist off the wood first.

I just cut down a perforated metal handguard I bought from Kengs
to fit the  AMD bullpup I'm building.
the two metal guards look good together.

Will post pics when it's done, waiting on the molyresin to come in.
tet 68
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#15]
So back to the original topic. Does anyone have anymore advice between these two rifles?  I really wish i could handle and feel both of them before I purchase but these kinda of guns don't really exist around here. I am just going off of everyone's experience here.

Thanks,
Shawn
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top