Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/1/2006 12:49:44 PM EDT
I am a newcomer to collecting surplus military firearms. Got my first rifle a SKS recently. Whats with the kits? Good bargain or junk?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:57:03 PM EDT
Junk........unless you know what to do with them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:59:36 PM EDT
You have to know what you are doing. Some of the nicest rifles I have seen have been from kits, and also some of the worst.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:44:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By exfarmer:
I am a newcomer to collecting surplus military firearms. Got my first rifle a SKS recently. Whats with the kits? Good bargain or junk?

I have built a really nice Tantal, Polish underfolder, AMD-65, E. German clone and several Romanians from kits and they have all come out great. My latest builds are a Romanian and Yugo M92 Krinkov on Tapco flats.

I am almost done building an ORF Bulgarian side-folder on another Tapco bent flat. It is just as smooth as the other builds with the exception of the material that has to be removed from the rear and the holes for the stock folding button and latch. I am just going super slow with some jewelers files to give the openings a factory look.

IMO, my flats came out better than the Ewbanks receiver because the upper carrier rail rides about 50% deeper into the carrier than the Ewbanks. If bending a flat is not an option, then the Ewbanks is a pretty good receiver to build from.

It sounds MUCH harder to do that it really is.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:57:20 PM EDT
Kits are the best thing going!
Top Top